Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Thursday, October 05, 2006

It's Never the Same

It all started some 12, 13 years ago with Tiny Toons. You know, all the Loony Tunes characters as precocious preschoolers. Coupled with the Animaniacs, it was must see afternoon TV - especially if you were 29, worked in a piano bar and had all your days free. It was cute. It was funny. It had lots of 'in' jokes.

Then came (in no particular or accurate order): Muppet Babies, Sesame Street Babies and countless other "babies" jumping on the bandwagon. There was even a 'reverse', if you will, of The Rugrats as teenagers. Yipes. And it was getting just a tad bit out of hand, I tell ya.

But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, could prepare me for what I stumbled across today in my quest for quality non-Noggin children's entertainment. That's right folks. Scooby Doo "Babies". Scobby Doo as a puppy, with all his pals as grade-schoolers. Fred is Freddie, Velma says "Jinkies" every time she's found a clue and pitches a temper tantrum if all don't notice (not unlike many adults). And if you had any hopes of seeing Shaggy in his pre-stoner days, I'm afraid you'd be sorely disappointed my friends. Even his voice is still Casey Casum. Was it more stupid than the old 'Scooby Doo Meets the Three Stooges" or "Scooby Doo Meets Laurel and Hardy"? Unequivocally, yes. Those were Hitchcock masterpieces compared to the little ditty I saw today. In fact, there was actually a reference to having forgotten the 'old' Scooby Snacks but Daphne remembered to bring a recipe for home-baked, "organic" Scooby Snacks.

Oh. My. God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter