Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, September 02, 2006

It's A Marshmallow World

I am suddenly, and somewhat confoundedly, in possession of a new chiminea. I've wanted one of these things almost as long as I've wanted my own pumpkin patch. I like their look, their history, their comfort, their adaptability. I like to create fire and watch my creation dance and twirl much like a benevolent dictator, poking and prodding to achieve beautiful results.

So, I fired it up and broke out the marshamallows. And as four or five of us were roasting them, taking turns using my long handled, double pronged fork that is in no way meant for anything more than lifting a roast out of a shallow pan, I realized that our preferred method of marshmallow done-ness was just as unique as our personalities.

And, of course, there are memories attached to why we like our marshmallows burnt, browned, toasted, lightly crunchy or just plain raw. For me, I realized a shift had taken place somewhere in the last few years where I no longer prefer my marshmallows burnt to a bubbling crisp. Not because it has anything to do directly with age and maturity (I fight both as desperately as I can), but more or less I've stopped wanting to keep putting a bug up the ass of my mother's memory. As a girl, I used to very carefully roast my marshmallow to a barely bubbly, nutmeg brown on all but the bottom. It was time consuming and delicious. One summer evening, I have no clue where we were or with whom, but I remember someone in the teen-age realm burning their marshmallows to a deep black crisp and promptly pop it in their mouths. My mother shuddered in horror and had the look of sheer revulsion reserved only for those who truly offended her (or lived in Belton, but that was her personal problem). From that moment on, I burned my marshmallows to ebony, blew them out with great gusto, and relished every ooey, gooey chew. In front of my mother made it taste more delicious. [This is a recurring theme with me. I like bleu cheese much more because of our usual Sunday stops at Peutch's Cafeteria every Sunday after church. I would get a slice of iceberg lettuce, topped with a huge dollop of mayonnaise and crumbled 'fresh' bleu cheese. The retching sounds my mother made was only topped by her final refusal to face the table as I ate it. How I do so love to eat bleu cheese to this day.] Now, I have reverted to my original marshmallow personality. I toast slowly and methodically, thoroughly enjoy the entire process.

I have decided if I really want to know more about a person, I need to sit in front of a lovely campfire or chiminea and watch how they roast and eat their marshmallows. I'm sure I can learn a great deal about their personality. Or at least whether or not they freak out over the stickiness.

I don't know what it says about a person who doesn't even like marshmallows.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear!

Congratulations on the chimnea-- a delighful addition to almost any yard.
Thanks for your delightful reflection the simple joys of marshmallow roasting. Just one question, dear: What wine goes with marhamallows?
Living for all that gooey goodness
M

9/02/2006 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who doesn't like marshmallows - the simplicity, the oral satisfaction, the fun. Life is like a marshmallow - some days soft and pure - other times crusty and burnt but the inner soul is always there...

9/02/2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Martha, my dear

Why...a desert wine, of course!

9/02/2006 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to sound like an alarmist, but let me remind you that there is also a rather diabolical side to those fluffy sweet marshmallows. Remember that scene in the film Ghostbusters when the campfire marshmallow boy becomes enraged, enlarged and threatens the entire population of a city???
That's the kind of warnging that robs a campfire of all those sweet memories.

So, be careful out there. Remember that they are watching and just waiting for that moment when we've dropped our guard.
peace out

9/03/2006 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn.

I wished I'd been as smart as Marsha Mello
(BTW are you single?)
I used to think that life was like a box of chocolates-at least that's what mama always said-- but miss marsha is right it really is more like a marshamello.

9/03/2006 12:34 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Hey, just because Marsha used oral in a sentence doesn't mean this has become Warbler's Blog & Dating Service. Then again...not a bad idea...

As to the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. He actually wasn't an independent entity working on behalf of his own sugar and egg whites breathern. No, my friends, the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man was channeling an evil god's (we all remember how much Zuul looked like Sheena Easton, right?) veangeful destruction and was a form plucked from the mind of Dan Akroyd. Who, I believe, prefers his marshmallows burnt to a crisp...

9/03/2006 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler,
Thanks for filling in the details regarding the destructo capabilties of the rather benign **appearance** of those little white devils. Point is .... they may seem innocent, they may seem friendly, they may seem like a great idea for dessert, but that's only half the story.

Considering the state of the world, one can never be too careful.
Over and out.
Minuteman.

9/03/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Or a dessert wine would work, also...

9/03/2006 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear!
A dessert wine!
That will certainly be easier to find. I asked my local vintner if he had anything from the regions of the Sahara, Gobi, Kalahari or Australian Outback.
He looked rather puzzled.

Dessert is always the best part of dinner--- now there's wine to go with that-- splendid!

living for those exotic vintages.
M.

9/03/2006 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be back!

9/03/2006 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Forrest,
The prospect of a union between the box of chocolates and the delectable orb sounds promising. You know it worked for the Reeses guy.

9/03/2006 10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Marsha,
You bring the orbs. I'll bring the chocolates.
What should we call the concoction:
Marshagump bars?
Gumpamallers?

Yours truly,
Forrest

9/04/2006 1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bring my friend Graham - we'll make it a threesome and I guarantee you'll want to call it S'More...

9/04/2006 7:56 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Oh my!

9/04/2006 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter