Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Monday, September 04, 2006

Steal Away

...yes, it is possible to use Emily Dickinson - just as white New England as you can get - as code poetry.

EMANCIPATION.

No rack can torture me,
My soul's at liberty
Behind this mortal bone
There knits a bolder one

You cannot prick with saw,
Nor rend with scymitar.
Two bodies therefore be;
Bind one, and one will flee.

The eagle of his nest
No easier divest
And gain the sky,
Than mayest thou,

Except thyself may be
Thine enemy;
Captivity is consciousness,
So's liberty.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear!
This is all quite erudite.
I had five and a half glasses of shiraz and I still don't quite understand the poem.
Oh well.
Off to borders for the cliff notes version!
Living for enlightenment or something like that.
M.

9/04/2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Martha, my dear,
After 5 1/2 glasses, who cares if one understands? Poem? What poem?

Living for emancipation,
W

9/04/2006 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wardler, deer!
Well saidddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.
m.

9/04/2006 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last line was great ... a real shocker ... you are quite a poet. I rally think you should belt it out in one of the local poem sound-offs, dear. A little wine, no fear, a few grunting sounds ... OK skip that, that is my thing ... let 'er rip, is what I say.

9/05/2006 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter