Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Monday, January 30, 2006

One On One

I think Jack Jones said it best when he said:

Love, exciting and new
Come aboard, we're expecting you.
The Love Boat [formerly known as Madam Fifi's Floating Bordello] soon will be making another run [what is that - illegal aliens? Arms? Drugs? Diarrhea?]
The Love Boat promises something for everyone [for a small fee]
Set a course for adventure, your mind on a new romance.
And love won't hurt anymore [So which is it: painful or exciting & new?]
It's a friendly smile on an open shore. [Ohhhh, love is a cabana boy! No wonder I keep going so wrong]
It's love. Welcome aboard, it's love.

Irish once accused me of watching way too much TV. I hate to admit that he was right. Of course, that was, like, 21 years ago so the statute of rightness limitations has probably run out by now.

A large number of the newbies in the choir are kind of freaking out because they have to sing in front of people for their membership audition. Me, doesn't even faze. Then we find out the audition is just for four or six people and they're all sighing with relief while my heart has started palpitations. I have always, and I mean always, been more comfortable in front of large crowds - the bigger the better - than in more intimate settings. You want me to strip down to under garments and sing "Touch-a, Touch-a. Touch Me" in the Rocky Horror Show with six hour's notice and rehearsal? Bring it on. You want me to audition (fully clothed) for two people in a small room? I need oxygen! Conversation mano y mano? Write it off, it's hard work for me. I am better on group dates than solo. I am a much better pen pal than dinner conversationist. God forbid I should respond to a serious question with a serious answer. And don't make eye contact! You might find out I have a soul. Or don't, depending on who you are and what you want and how atrocious your table manners are.

Do you think it would be a little too show-offy if I asked if I could audition in front of the entire state of Maine?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! My sentiments exactly!

One of our few things in common (in a good way!)

irish

1/31/2006 9:14 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Which is probably why very little of our friendship has ever been conducted in corporeal form.

1/31/2006 12:51 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Lady you're lucky, I get stage fright sometimes wicked bad. That's why I, well, lurk, like playing tuba in the back corner or doing lights behind the scenes. You must be blessed!

1/31/2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

I think that depends on which side of the fence you're sitting.

1/31/2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Fences? Well I was in a Wizard of Oz play one time as Uncle Henry and yep, we had a little wooden fence (and a bale of hay). That one?

1/31/2006 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh come on, warbler. a powerfull voice like yours, looks and stage presents and your singing barbershop? Why warbler why? i thought you moved so you could go back to theater.

1/31/2006 10:33 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

I read the blurb once: "want to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans." The Barbershop choir is the only thing my husband could clear his schedule for. Besides, it's fun.

1/31/2006 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter