Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Sweet Adeline

So, I've been singing barbershop. Yeah, I know. Most of us think of those guys from "The Music Man" - who were they, they Buffalo Bills, I think? And it's probably not the art form people probably associate with me, especially if they've caught my cab act - pianist and all that. But, like their tag line says, "It's not your grandmother's barbershop." There's not a (good) musician alive who doesn't enjoy making close harmony, and in barbershop, it's not always easy to do it well. Those of us with the big Broadway-style voices have a harder time of it. While there may be a few solos here and there, there are no "stars" - something I've grown very accustomed to over the years. There are no accompaniments, just voices. Voices "agreeing on how to sing a note". And when they do agree, the mathematical harmonics apply and build; and overtones are produced. It's a satisfying thing to "ring a chord" - create overtones. For true musicians, those are the kind of challenges we live for. And that's one of the main reasons I'm singing with the Royal River Chorus (http://www.blazenetme.net/~michauds/)- because I've become musically lazy. I have, if not mastered, become extremely competent at so many different musical forms: Classical Voice (too restricted for me), Musicals (made for a very nice career - one I still miss), Jazz (a little too much on the Math, very hard work for me), Country (my preferred radio station), Blues (my song-writing style of choice) and, of course, karaoke - which really doesn't count as music but always sounds better proportionally to the amount of alcohol one has consumed. Now it's time to master something new.

I love a challenge. It's both an esteem-booster and a pitfall. Sometimes I choose paths simply for the challenges to be conquered, forgetting that people aren't Mount Everest and sometimes challenges fail to be solved. Sometimes they continue to grow harder and harder until you're at twenty-six quadrillion feet, gasping for air and watching chunks of your skin fall off while battling the elements and you have to decide if it's more important to be stubborn or suckin' dirt.

But I digress.

I need some serious mental stimulation, and I need to make good music. More importantly, I need the opportunity to make friends and, even more importantly, a couple of hours without my freakin' kids. My daughter thought she might be interested in joining. After all, they're singing stuff like "It's Raining Men", "We Are Family" and "Locomotion" - all with choreography, my friends. But you can be sure I shut that idea right down. "You are not gonna come hang out with me and my friends. That's just embarassing!" She doesn't know how many mother/daughter combinations there are in the choir. But, in my defense, most of them are all adults and they actually like their mothers! Stop raining on my parade, kid.

Anyway...

Our four-week Newbie initiation is at an end this coming Thursday. We actually have a little graduation thingy and then a one-month trial membership (once we pass our audition to show we can handle singing a capella with 3 other voice parts in our ear - piece a cake). These ladies are cultish in their art form. I can hang with that.

And for that serious competitive streak in me (hey, I almost always walked away with the part), there's International competitions (2007 in Hawaii - if I find a new husband by then, it could be my honeymoon, too...) and Quartets - which tend to be the dedicated cultists.

And there's a great deal of sequins, too. Gee, all I need is a baked ham and a sidekick named "Brenda" or "Bambi" or "Candi" and I'm all good.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous - it sounds like challenging fun (and you cannot measure the worth of a break in the routine).

1/29/2006 12:24 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Me, too. If you recall, Warbler, my blog is Poof'n'Whiffs which is my rather dislexic bastardization of "Poofenwhiffs," the a capella Yale Glee Club. The method goes back centuries, of course, and barbershop is just stage. I wish I had my finger on it, but some of those singers could sing two notes at once.

I can't help it if I'm more of a rocker, though. I like the a capella parts of 'Uncle John's Band' (Greatful Dead) and 'Join the Band' (Little Feat) and some old John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival), not to mention some blues shouters from St. Louis. Here's some Uncle John's:

* * *

Come hear Uncle John's Band playing to the tide,

Come on along, or go alone, he's come to take his children home.

Wo, oh, what I want to know, how does the song go.

1/29/2006 1:15 AM  
Blogger Everett said...

Hi Paula, I know that some of the very best times I had singing was with the Quartet we had here for three or four years. You kind of lived for the times during the songs when a good close harmony brought out those overtones and resonances'(sp). I started out as a baritone and that was the hardest thing in the world for me to do! I think it is the hardest part of the four parts to learn and do well. Which is why I switched to lead as fast as I could!! Hey remember that song we did in the choir that had the words, " up and down she wandered, up and down etc.? What the hell was the name of it?! It's been bugging me for a week!

1/29/2006 6:26 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Ev, are you thinking of "Fair Phyllis I Saw"?

1/29/2006 8:15 AM  
Blogger Everett said...

That was she, Phair Phylis I Thaw and now I have to keep thinging it all the day agaain! Thanxth!

1/30/2006 6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I hate to admit it. Any time I've heard barbershop, that interplay of voices has literally raised goosebumps (in a good way!)

1/30/2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

AN interesting comment, as it has been noted that some people don't actually hear the overtones, they "feel" them - usually in the form of raised armhairs or goosebumps - or is that the same thing?

What a sensitive guy...

1/30/2006 9:44 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

When I played tuba we inevitably ran into some Baroque music, which is like some kind of ancient Barbershop Quartet without the words. Usually the instructor leader guy was cringing in disbelief. The French horn screeched or pooted and the tuba, me, well sometimes made some admittedly disgusting bathroom sounds.

Then after about 8 weeks we played our usual really bad stuff and the guy looks at us and says to stop, halfway through. "Can you do that again?" So we're a bunch of dumb ole hayseeds and we start right back and you could see the hair on the back of his head stand straight out - he was chrome-head bald so we could tell real easy.

One more time, group?

So it was wierd, like he was smiling and we just figured the practice was over and started packing up and no, the fella wasn't dazed or something; he said "just play like that tomorrow night." I never was patted on the back by a big band leader since that day. Felt good.

1/30/2006 9:49 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Okay, sam, I'm gonna have to disagree. Baroque is not ancient barbershop quartet. Nice try, no dice. Baroque is built on a different set of tonics and shaping. And it's European. Barbershop is strictly an American art form - even though it is sung competitively in five other nations.

but the story was nice.

1/30/2006 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mein Gott in Himmel!
Barbershop?
Warbler, danke
JS Bach

1/31/2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Bitte
PJ Warbler

1/31/2006 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter