Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Love Boat

It's gettin' close to Love Day. You know, that silly little Hallmark/Florist holiday that nobody believes in but so many husbands and boyfriends forget to take seriously enough that they end up in some cold doghouses?

I love all holidays. I like being festive. I like to coordinate my wardrobe, jewelry and menus. It's fun. All those "Valentine's Day is just a capitalist-invented holiday to help the flower and chocolate industries" are just trying to ruin it for those of us who knew that already and still love it! Hate St. Patty's Day? Wear orange and make a true statement. Hate Valentines? Throw a massacre party.

Personally, I'm all for romance. Real romance - not the order a dozen roses cuz I have to kind of thing that so many (including the husband) do. Most women would take a hand-picked snow crocus over a dozen store-bought flowers any day. Real romance comes from the heart, not the wallet. And the memory. It comes from the memory. First, it helps to remember important dates. That says "It's important to you so it's important to me." There are women who don't really care that much about it. And there are men who really enjoy doing it. And vice versa. Somehow they always end up together, don't they? Secondly, if you spend some time thinking of a gift to guarantee a...return on your investment, shall we say?...then perhaps getting her that Brad Paiseley CD she really wants will stand better than a Whitman's sampler.

I like romantic men. The kind who know that big nights start with a day full of special little moments. We all want to feel as if we're a part of something special. I'd give an example of how one of the most romantic men I've ever known did most of it with a stamp, but he reads this blog and probably wouldn't appreciate that.

In fact, this started out to be a post about the two great romances of my life, a la Valentine's Day rah rah. But I think I might land in hot water that route. Hmmm...maybe I should just go back to my chocolates and roses and leave the Valentine's Day reminders to those greeting card people in KC.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah St. Valentine's Day - not my favorite holiday... one year I got a live goat for a remembrance, another year a coal hod and shovel and another year some competition for affection. This year, instead of setting my sights too high, I think I'll just sleep through the day.

1/19/2006 1:12 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Sleep is good. Wish I could join ya...*sigh* I'd better re-phrase that, the kind of minds that show up on this blog.

You know I know exactly what you mean!

1/19/2006 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter