Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Night Before Christmas

My daughter and I purchased a book and CD called 'Christmas Carol Car-i-oke". It's, obviously, a karaoke CD meant to be used for travelling to Grandma's house and so forth. Lots of lovely hymns and traditional carols set to some updated (and sometimes unsettling) orchestrations. All in all - good fun. My daughter put it in the computer the other night when toddler was having a full meltdown during dinner and I, for once, relaxed the no-singing-at-the-table rule (can you believe I would have that one?) and we sang our way through "Jingle Bells", "O Little Town of Bethlehem", "We Wish You a Merry Christmas", "Joy to the World", "Angels We Have Heard on High"...well, you get the picture. Toddler boy just sat and listened, wide-eyed, as he clutched and crunched his special toddler animal cracker. Until "Go, Tell It On The Mountain" with a truly gospel arrangement started and Momma got a little wild and started wailing to the music. You and I would have laughed and shouted "Testify, sista", but the baby started to cry. Well, if that doesn't make you feel small. He was really enjoying it until then. We tried to finish the rest of the CD this evening, but the keys keep getting higher and higher and there aren't a lot of people who can sing up there during "O Holy Night" and "The Hallelujah Chorus" - we really could have used my cousin and her family (think Von Trapps) at that particular moment. Actually, I sounded pretty darned good on O Holy Night, but it wasn't very sing-along-ish.

I can see it now...it will be the night before Christmas
And all through the house
The damn cats are rambunctious
And they're waking my spouse

The stockings were hung
Not by the chimney but the hall
In case that their weight
Might pull down a wall.

The children don't sleep
Why put them to bed
They eat so much sugar
there's no teeth in their heads;

And Momma's so frazzled
so tired and wistful
She's guzzling down Pinot
and Shiraz by the fistful

When out on the lawn
there arose such a clatter
Apparently a moose got
caught up in the ladder.

I went to the window
but got caught in a draft
when I realized the shutters
were nailed to the sash.

The moon on the breast
of four more feet of snow
Made me long for the Islands
where coconuts grow.

When, what to my wondering eyes did appear
But a big honkin' sleigh
with creatures - oh dear!

With a cute, geeky guy who was
driving so quick
I knew that he must have his eyes checked
and quick!
More rapid than UPS
his coursers went - bam!
And I knew in an instant
they were trained by Dave Lamb.

"Now Moose, and Moose and Moose and Moose.
On Moose and Moose and Moose and Moose.
To the top of the - wait!
That porch is a sight.
Don't land there or we'll
be in the ER all night.

As dry leaves that fall
from the churchyard next door
He crowded our steps
and blew in the front door.

He was dressed in fake fur
to be true PC
and he looked at my jammies
with far less than glee.
He gave me a glance that said
"Oh, what you're wearing!"
Then he opened his pack and he
pulled out a herring.

His eyes - how they twinkled!
His smile was so bright.
Then he turned red and mumbled
I thought this was Knights
[who say 'Nee']

He had a broad face and a six pack of abs
And I couldn't help giving the eye - he was FAB!
I oogled and ogled this jolly old - yet well-built [cuz it's my poem]elf
And I silently said "Get control of yourself!"
A wink of his eye
let me know what to say
for with fashion that keen
he was obviously gay!

As to how I might wrap up
this complex-styled verse
We may never know
for the news is the worst.

The baby has woken
so this verse is quite mum.
He's asleep on my shoulder
and my arm's going numb!

6 Comments:

Blogger Everett said...

I don't know how you do it, but I sat here and laughed and laughed till I cried! Make room for Paula at the Harriet Beecher Stowe mueseum! It was fantastic!

12/19/2005 12:24 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Gee, Ev, I don't know how I do 'it', either. I just sit down amd write. But if you actually enjoyed it, then by gollum, it was worth the extra 10 minutes!

Too bad the rest of the world doesn't agree with you!

12/19/2005 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler: Tho' this will give away my identity, I thought I should share this Christmas poem I wrote (I can't believe it was 10 years ago!)

Twas not long before Christmas
On the fabled West Side
Just in from clamming
(Could't pass up that tide)
Holiday panic
Is setting right in
There's so much to do
Don't know where to begin
The dreaded Chrsitmas letter
Isn't what you'd expect
But her's what's been happening
The year in retrospect.
January brought us
Our very first foal
The weather was fridgid
We burned lots of coal
Plowing and sanding were the
Orders of the day
For weeks at a time
But at least there was pay
In the worst of it all
Joe's sister got married
A happy occassion for
The weary and harried
Spring finally came
Crept in ere so meek
All we needed then
Was ten days a week
The business is doing
Ever so well
How long it will last
We guess time has to tell
The summer was hot
The hay bales a must
Tourists were plentiful
Corn and potatoes a bust
But one thing is etched
In our memories to stand
Abel shared the honor
To relight a beacon so grand
The lighthouse is alive
Spared a nasty demise
A welcoming vista
A sight for sore eyes
Kate and Sara have entered
The junior high scene
It's hard to believe
That they're nearly thirteen
Between school, sports and music
Their days are quite busy
They can manage the pace
Only mom's taxi is dizzy
Both made the honor roll
Not a bad start
Now to maintain it
That's the hard part
Abel sleeps well
'Cause his days are quite full
He's a bundle of energy
With him life's never dull
He wrestles, shoots hoops
Has oxen and a pig
Plays piano, hates homework
He's getting so big
The horse addiction has become
An attraction just the same
Joe can whistle and shout
And call them by name
On Dolly and Molly and Daisy and Joe
On Ben, Jake and Baby, Maizie and Poe
So as you can see
We haven't been slacking
Being caught up
Is all we are lacking
To paraphrase words
Of the famed Yogi Berra
We'd like to thank all who
Made this greeting necessara!

(I'm not really sure why I felt the need to share this with you - except that at 12:30 am I was hysterically laughing by myself at your incredible talent)

12/19/2005 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad my not so anonymous friend. And, by the way - miss you! (Share anytime, love, you're no slouch either)

12/19/2005 2:07 PM  
Blogger Everett said...

Geez anony, do I know you? ha ha!
Also a great poem. All mine are four liners and end up with a lot of four letter words in them! You know, "there once was a man from Nantucket"? Bye now!

12/19/2005 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Ev...

12/19/2005 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter