Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Boy Next Door


A very disturbing thing happened today. I was minding my own business, feeding the baby a snack as we watched Blue's Clues, when the next thing I know, I'm thinking, "Gee, that Steve sure is cute. I bet he'd be a fun date." Now where in the Sam Patch did that come from and why Steve?

I like crushes. Crushes are fun, as long as they're harmless and employed properly. As lonely as I am, crushes sometimes are a guilt-free reaction. But I've started to notice a trend. Steven Burns on Blue's Clue's, Matt Fox on Room by Room, a nameless nerd on Block Island, that silly guy on Toby Keith's Big Blue Note video...oh...my...heavens. I'm attracted to geeks! So, I marry muscular, handsome, work-boot wearin' men, but I crush on cute, geeky, intellectual geeks? When did this happen? How did this happen? Why would this happen?

I started early: Donny Osmond, Parker Stevenson, Brian whatsisname in high school. I've always crushed on gorgeous, "cool" (at the time) guys. I have never dated a less than handsome man in my...hmmm, I better say 'adulthood', and all three of my engagements have been to highly attractive men.

Steve? Matt? Nameless Nerd? Dear Lord, what's next? Will I start buying slide rules and pocket protectors? Hang out in the Terry Pratchett section of the bookstore...wait a minute, I already do that! Arrrrgggghhhhh!

12 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Alright, where'd you find my picture?

12/15/2005 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your wife sent me a copy. *grin*

12/15/2005 9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another case of 'Beauty and the Geek'!

12/15/2005 10:29 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

So does that mean the Geek shall inherit?

12/15/2005 10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inherit the earth?
Alas, only in their very geeky dreams.
m

12/15/2005 10:49 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Let's asl Bill Gates, shall we?

12/15/2005 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear.
He didn't inherit the earth.
He made a fortune... all by stringing a bunch of digital code together. Gone are the days when 'code' was something that had a certain panache-- the allure of the cold war, spies, foreign accents, wonderful teched out sports cars and Sean Connery as that debonair Bond, James Bond.

Now its just a bunch of zeroes and ones...or at least that's what they tell me.
hmmmmm..... must be the shiraz speaking

M

12/15/2005 11:02 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

a bunch of zeroes is right...oops! Was that political incorrectness out loud? Maybe we should start inviting Miss Manners to our little affairs...I could do with a brush up. Or maybe I'll recover by the...wait for it...Geek-end.

12/15/2005 11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler,dear.
The Geek-end!
Your wit is truly luminous! Just the perfect cure for these dark winter days!
Cheers
m

12/15/2005 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/15/2005 11:14 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Luminous? Wit? Have another shiraz, dear, it makes me look better.

12/15/2005 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see it now. You'd marry Steve's beefy brother Joe while harboring a secret lust for Steve. Then one day Joe would be taking a shower and Slippery Soap would "accidentally" tell Joe what had been going on while he was out tracking dinosaurs in the garden with Shovel and Pail. This would also explain the green striped boxers Joe found under the bed.

BTW, did you notice that just before Steve left the show, his teeth became about 40 shades whiter?

12/16/2005 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter