Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Sunday, November 27, 2005

No Place Like Home For The Holidays

I love the holidays. Absolute, all-out, gleeful adoration of the holidays. All of them. The bigger the better. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, top of my list. Easter? You betcha. I love the "little" ones, too. Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day. The important ones: Independence Day, Veteran's Day, Labor Day. I love 'em all, and each one for its own personal (to me) identity. Even more unifying, each one for its unique food offerings.

With all due respect to those who "poo-poo" the holidays (sorry, BIB, but I'm putting you and a thousand others on the spot), I always thought the "I hate the commercialization so I'm cynical about said holiday" a bit of a cop out. I hate the commercialization as well. That's why I don't feel I am forced to buy my mother flowers (although, since she's dead, it's probably the one gift I can give), my sweetie diamonds or chocolate, my dad a tie (although, since he's dead, it's probably the one gift...well, never mind...), nor do I feel I have to buy -to quote our dear blogger friend - "every annoying" toy known to mankind for my kids, only to have them throw them into the landfill because it's not what they really wanted. Dude, have a daughter. Nothing you get her will ever be what she really wanted and she made her own list! That's life, my friend. Which is why I don't usually buy those kinds of toys and, instead, buy things for others that come in really large boxes which I then give to my kids for hours of entertainment and imagination. I don't buy into the commercialization of a holiday (but I definitely get caught up in the excitement) therefore I don't buy what the commercials tell me to. I'm less popular on Christmas Day, but my gifts usually are well-used.

When my mother was alive, I commemorated Mother's Day creatively, if I could. Never once did I give her a super sappy card or flowers. I embroidered pillow cases (poorly) with her zodiac sign. (Aries, a sign I'm always at odds with) One year, I wrote a parody in her honor. She wasn't all that amused, unfortunately, but she never did have much of a sense of humor.

For Valentine's Day with a sweetie who was as romantic and holiday obsessed as I, I made a mixed tape (oops, dating myself) of songs that had (or would have) special meaning to us. That particular sweetie knew how important it was to me to celebrate holidays and gave me a very special, very inexpensive gift that I treasure to this day.

And then there's Christmas. Sometimes the lean ones are the most memorable, the most significant. They require us to use our creativity and special talents instead of simply throwing money in place of thought. You want the true spirit of Christmas? (Forgetting both the Christian - wow, that word does not look right at all; I hate it when that happens; and historical socio-political for the time being) For the true spirit of Christmas, re-read "Gift of the Magi". It'll melt your heart more than Tiny Tim ever did.

When you write a personal note in a Christmas card. When you knit a cheesy, lopsided scarf. When you take the time to look up something on the internet and forward the information...do you have any idea how incredibly warm and beloved you've made another human being feel? Anybody with half an ounce of self-respect knows what a true gift is, and it has nothing to do with the value of the price tag. It has everything to do with the value of the thought. Every time you sat down to knit another row (or, in my case, rip out another row cuz I can't cable and chew gum at the same time), or sprinkle glitter on glue, or spend an evening burning a comp CD is hours that you've spent actually thinking of someone you care about. That counts a hell of a lot more than iPods (which, granted, are very cool - maybe more of a birthday kind of gift). People want to know how important they are, not how easily they can be bought.

Unless they're teen-agers. Then their very souls are for sale if there's a portable DVD player involved.

Some people no longer receive that one gift that says "I'm thinking of you often". They own beautiful jewelry they never have a place to wear and cabinet mounted CD players they can't use in the living room and in-line skates they have nowhere legal to use. Give them a break this year, huh? Give them something that makes them treasure you every time they see/hear/use it.

And if you'd like to send me a Christmas card this year, please do. I like to display the cards of all the people who took the time to think of me. And that only costs 37 cents...

19 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Hey Missives, I like your spirit. One enterprising girl had a cool idea to collect old neckties to make skirts. My wife got one, as I had maybe 30 ties I didn't even know I had! Remember Paisely and those 1980's abstract designs? Eww! Well, it makes a pretty cool skirt when sewn together and lined and all. What do I know, I'm a dude, but Lori loves it. I can't think of a better way to recycle those old stranglers, myself. /sam

11/27/2005 10:23 PM  
Blogger Everett said...

Hi P, Well I have to admit that the two holidays I love the most, Excluding July 4th 'cause that is Kirks birthday, are Thanksgiving and Christmas! Thanksgiving mainly because it brings together most all of the family for a good time and a lot of, 'remember when--' tales around the dinner table. We even have a bunch of cardboard cutouts and those crepe paper pumpkins and turkeys that are flat but turn into three dimensional ones when opened up. We hang them all over the house but mainly in the kitchen where "everything" usually happens! Then along comes Christmas. Down come all the TG decorations and up go the Xmas ones. Atheist that I am, I still love the story of Christmas and buy into that part for a month or so. Mainly I think, because,( like Yogi Berra said, "it's like deja vu all over again") it makes me think of a simpler time when my folks were still with us and of the great times we had at Xmas. Lying on the floor listening to all the Xmas programs on the radio,(no such thing as TV or stereo's), and waiting in excruciating anticipation to see just what Santa had brought on Xmas morning! It was never a lot, not anywhere near what I gave my kids and grandkids, more like three or four things that got so used that they usually fell apart by June or July from constant abuse. But those few things meant a lot to us because back then we would have been considered 'po' as far as material things were concerned. And it made me realize as I got older just what Xmas cost my parents in terms of money. As far as the warm and fuzzy feelings that ran rampant in our house, they were always there year round, but much more apparent around Christmas. Love all the music to as you would know. Take care Beautiful and have a Merry, Merry, Merry, Christmas, Kids wishes not withstanding!

11/28/2005 6:51 AM  
Blogger blockislandblog said...

I must defend myself!!!! I love Christmas and Thanksgiving. I love Christmas even more since I decided to not get "wrapped up" in the gotta get the perfect gift thing. I drove myself nuts for about 5 years looking for the best possible gift for everyone on my list. I have simplified and boy is Christmas nice now. I love everything about it. I mean with the internet, I don't even have to go to the MALL. I can have presents shipped to my home.

I am one of thos people who loves to wrap presents. I take great pains to wrap each present in appropriate paper, make up nice name tags. I love decorating the tree. I started playing Christmas music while I made pies for Thanskgiving.

My problem with the holiday, is that the spirit of Christmas is lost on many people. It becomes all about who got what, and I got less than her, and I spent this much. Presents should be given in love, and received in love.

The reason I poo-pooed holidays like Valentine's Day and Mother's Day, is that we should be letting the people we love know it, every day. And when the mood strikes us, not when Hallmark tells us to. I guess these holidays are an insurance policy. That at least once a year we will remember to tell someone we love them. (Good for those absent minded men in our lives.)

So Happy Holidays everyone!
Scrooge, I mean the BIB.

11/28/2005 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, did you want to know my birthday so that you could include me in your Aries-hating diatribe? OK not exactly a diatribe.

astrology is a load of crap, BTW.

11/28/2005 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Irish (and I know you know the tone I'm using); or should I say: Dearest Cranky,

That's my mother - the Aries - you're talking about. Show a smidgen of respect, please. It wasn't an Aries-hating anything, and I think you know I'm not against anybody unless they hurt others. I'm not a big believer in astrology (I'm certainly not Nancy Reagan about it), but I have always gone head to head with people born under the Aries sign, by the merest of coincidences. I find that interesting. It doesn't mean I temper what I say to anybody based on whether Uranus is anywhere near retrograde. And I wanted to know your birthday so that I can say "Happy Birthday" like you do for me. Next time I make any zodiacal reference, I shall be certain to look up the signs of BIB, Everett, Sam and the Serta Sheep as well so as not to make the slightest mention.

And if you wanted to start a discussion on astrology, you certainly started it off with something a little less than diplomacy and a little more than bluntness. If you were just being cranky with me directly, use my email next time.

I chastise because I love.

11/28/2005 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking back on my reply, I can see where any playfulness may not have come through. Rest assured, however, that I never intended that as a serious message.

My humblest apolologies.

ya know

11/28/2005 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

astrology is still a load of crap, BTW.

11/28/2005 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops...guess I can get down off of my high horse now...where are those stirrups?

11/28/2005 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not if you're making a ton of money at it.

11/28/2005 12:35 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Whew, BIB loves Christmas again and all is fixed with Irish and ... how on Earth did we get hornswoggled into astrology? Oh, OK.

Well I use it as a good excuse, if anything else. "I'm just a schitzy Gemini, I can't help it."

Then you know those paper placemats you get at the cheap Chinese restaurants? Some kind of astrology thing with animal signs. I look. Jeez, I'm a freakin' Monkey. "Honey, I have this suggen urge to throw some food around ... save me some of those peas, these chopsticks are working great!"

Another source of amusement is the day of the week of which you were born. I was born on a Wednesday, making so cute and full of Woo or Woe, or was that Wodin? It's all supposed to be silly fun, folks.

11/28/2005 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Dragon in Chinese Astrology - probably pretty appropriate (I've been called worse). Ain't it funny how none of us believe it yet we all know all about our different signs? Just for the record, I find it entertaining, AND I fit the Cancer profile to a 't'. My friend, Irish, doesn't fit his profile nearly as well which may be why he's so vociferous in his objections. My mother, God Rest Her Soul, Believed in it whole-heartedly...which is why I don't. And Sam writes a little 'schitzy' sometimes, so you be the judge.

11/28/2005 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning Starshine!
Guessing there's got to be something to the astrological tradition. Was surprised to discover that I pretty much resemble the saggitarius profile!

11/28/2005 5:40 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Ouch, spanked by a Warbler! I thought everyone was just a little "Willie Nelson crazy." Oh well, I've got five strands of Christmas lights up, and since you goaded me, here come five more!

11/28/2005 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Willie Nelson. Smoked a doob on the White House roof and I like him all the better for it. Think he shared with the snipers?

Serta, Linda Goodman says I'm highly compatible with Sags...am I?

Sam, I can't even find where I put all the Christms stuff. Including the tree! Put another strand up while I sing some carols.

11/28/2005 9:28 PM  
Blogger Everett said...

I'm a Libra, Hope that doesn't translate to 'liberal' in some kind of language, but I wannabe a Scorpio!Missed it by one day! damn

11/29/2005 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler,
Aside from the brief proposal you made a few blogs back about shaving -not shearing mind you- the serta sheep, I'd say we're pretty compatible.

11/29/2005 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everett,
I dunno but maybe you really are a Scorpio! By the time you figure out all the leap years, the difference between the various calendars instituted in Western civilization ....I bet there's plenty of 'wiggle-room' in deciding whether you were actually born under the influence of Libra or Scorpio...after all it's really all in the stars and not on the calendar page. Just a thought!

11/29/2005 10:02 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Aren't Scorios like wild, ultra-liberal types like James Dean and that actor Clooney? Why Everett, I never knew you had those deep, dark, secret feelings!
LOL
Good catch Serta
Sam

11/29/2005 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Everett, since you're on the "cusp" that means you have many characteristics of a Scorpio anyway - sometimes more than a Libra. (My husband and baby are Libra's, too, God help us all) Next time somebody asks, just tell 'em you're an "honorary" Scorpio. Or a "starter" Scorpio. Or better yet, tell them your sign is "Soft Shoulder", Baby. That would be a very "scorpio" thing to do.

11/29/2005 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter