Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Monday, July 31, 2006

Don't Pay The Ferryman

The entire state of Illinois is just one big toll booth. (No, Irish, it's NOT just the Chicago area - really!) I kid you not, folks. I paid more toll in Illinois (and just a small portion of IL, mind you) than I did in all the other states combined. Even including the three tolls here in Maine! Interestingly enough, the only place I encountered barely moving traffic, unreadable traffic signs and mile after mile of construction barricades was...dare we guess it?...Illinois. It's a good thing Chicago is a cultured city, otherwise I might have to say something naughty about it. [BTW, Chicago pizza? I dunno if it's THAT great...]

[A special Break a Leg to the Elf who took a big gamble and just moved to the world's largest electric bill: Las Vegas. Best of luck!]

Another random thought. If you've ever seen the animated movie "Chicken Little" - my cousin and I pointed out my outstanding similiarities with Runt. Song cues everywhere and just a little bit of melodrama to wash it down with. I am Runt.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, it isn't the ENTIRE state. Most people forget that about 4/5 of Illinois is toatally removed from Chicago and its enormous metropolitan area, in much the same way, that many (most?) midwesterners are under the impression that the entire state of New York is covered with skyscrapers and factories.

You are however, totally correct about the traffic, signs and construction.

And Chicago style pizza sucks.

8/02/2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Goodness, Irish, I certainly hope you weren't suggesting that I not know about the non-Chicago portions of Illinois. After all, I believe I've seen enough towns and whatnot to qualify as somewhat informed. After all, there was Peoria, where I met my first love. And Mattoon (did I get that right?), where I visited my first love, and Galesburg and Otumwa (which had nothing to do with my first love).

What? New York isn't just the isle of Manhattan? Do the New Yorkers know that?

8/05/2006 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter