Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Emergency

I told my cousin she needs to start a new magazine: The Alarmist's Monthly.

She has some harrowing story or statistic on just about everything. I'm surprised her family ever gets to have any fun at all (which, by the way, the do. On an incredibly regular basis. These are the kids that, when they're my age, are going to tell their kids what a great childhood they had.)

I definitely felt myself slightly more paranoid by the time I had left her house. After all, the first week I was there I learned that when she uttered "Should I tell you?" I should probably run far, run fast. Like when Walker found the mini-trampoline on the deck next to the big kid slide. He could barely make the thing bounce (not that he didn't master it in record time or anything) and she said "Should I tell you?" "What?" "Just as many kids are taken to the emergency room because of the little ones as are because of the big ones." No, you probably shouldn't have told me.

I was attempting to use her (still on dial-up but I'm working on her, kids, I promise) computer when the obligatory mid-west, lightening-filled, thunder storm began. Of course, by the time she was finished with me, not only was I afraid to use the computer, but afraid to take a shower or stand by the windows.

And did you know that the number one cause of dryer fires is NOT overflowing lint traps (they might be contributers to the number one) but clothes left in front of the dryer. To be honest, I guess I didn't even realize there WAS a pilot light in the damn thing. Which is why I'm so good at home repair and common sense.

And there's a following of people like her. They all share these alarmist emails and snippets in newsletters and at coffee hour after Sunday School. She could probably make a killing (but maybe that's too alarming a thing to say to alarmists) as editor in chief.

But should I tell you that?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I had no idea that Global Warming was due to drier fires. Maybe we should all convert to using a solar powered drier? Are you kidding, a clothes line? Why, a burglar fleeing your house could run into it, get hurt upside his neck, and sue the pants off everyone...

8/06/2006 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention the increased hours spent outside in the blazing sun hanging up clothes absorbing UV rays and increasing our chance of getting skin cancer.

8/07/2006 6:33 PM  
Blogger Everett said...

Ahem! This may have been true a few years ago when most dryers did have pilots near the floor, but unless the little access door was removed and a piece of clothing stuffed in the hole all the way to the back of the dryer where the pilot was located, I think this has been a "figment" of someones. It is a virtual rarity to find a new dryer these days that does not have an electronic pilot that only comes on for a few seconds at a time as the main burner lights. Fear Not oh damsel of the laundry room! Your chances of a fire are between slim and none unless you have one of these older models.

8/11/2006 5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter