Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Smokey and The Bandit

I pride myself on my law-abiding, safety conscious ways. I take great care to be the kind of weenie that increases her chances of watching her children graduate from University - preferrably with a PhD. It's something closely tied with my honor that I am able to drive safely and have the patience to actually follow (somewhat) the speed limit. "Five miles over at all times" is my motto.

My car still has Rhode Island plates. The car is registered in my husband's name - long, silly, stupid story. My driver's license with the hideous picture and different hair color is Rhode Island. My registration and insurance are all Rhode Island. I have asked my husband probably close to a thousand and twelve times to get us Maine plates - specifically, vanity plates that say 'Warbler'. I haven't wanted to change my license until my plates were.

So there I was, driving in my first carpool to Cumberland (just south of Yarmouth, where the chorus usually meets). The evening has been fun and exciting. The three ladies in my car have been gracious and patient with teaching me how to drive new roads. I've also told them "I usually don't drive more than five miles over the speed limit, so if I need to pick it up a bit, please let me know." We were not five minutes out on our way home when the car that's been driving up my a** suddenly flashes his blue lights.

"Ladies," I exclaimed, "I'm being pulled over."

I'm not sure if I was complimented by the acute disbelief or not. They all turned en masse to satisfy themselves that the blue lights were, indeed, flashing. Officer Murphy - that's right, Murphy - was a dour little gentleman with nary a sense of humor. I have learned enough not to try to make unwilling lawmen laugh when they don't wanna.

Now, I honestly didn't know that the speed limit was 35. Really. I hadn't seen it posted for a while and I admit I was doing 50, but it was an actual numbered route so I figured I was pretty safe. Oh, was I wrong. And who actually tries to tell a police officer, "Really, Officer, I didn't know what the speed limit was." Please. That's so high school.

Officer Murphy was thorough, polite, but did I mention dour? There's just no better word to describe the man. As he was conversing and doing a lot of checking of the front and back of my car (but he didn't ask for my insurance card, tsk, tsk), my license, my registration, he asked me where we were headed.

"Bath," I replied and wondered if I should say 'sir' after everything. I figured I was probably five years younger (if that) and I had earned the right not to.

"Why are you headed to Bath at 11:00 at night," he asked me, shining the light into my face and not even getting my good side!

"We live there," I answered politely. Polite was my key phrase for evening's adventure.

"You have Rhode Island plates and a license," he pointed out the obvious.

"Oh," being the honest goody-two shoes I am and not smelling a trap..."we just moved here."

"How long ago?"

"Five months."

"That's a $500 fine."

I must admit that common sense almost left me as I had to change a loud exclamation of "Are you shitting me?" into a lisping "Are you sherious?" He was still not amused.

"Yes, ma'm," he was serious. I doubt he was ever anything but serious. I'm not good with people who don't have a sense of humor. They make me nervous. And when I'm nervous, I get funnier. Except to Officer Murphy. (When I'm in pain I'm a frickin' two drink minimum.)

"How much time do I have to change my plates?"

"Thirty days from beginning of residency."

"Are you sherious?"

"Yes, ma'm." Like that wasn't more of a rhetorical question at this point.

It didn't take any kind of method acting for the tears to well in my eyes.

"But," and I admit I might have spluttered a little bit, "the car's registered in my husband's name and he doesn't live here during the week."

"But you're the one operating the vehicle," he said shortly and took off for his car.

Of course, the ladies were all abuzz as soon as he was safely esconced within his 'I'm-not-standing-out-in-the-eight-degree-air-listening-to-this-gal-try-to-make-me-laugh'patrol car. It probably had seat warmers. He seemed that practical. They were all for me. Couldn't believe anyone could actually ticket me. 'How can they prove you don't actually live in Rhode Island part time?' (which is a very good point, in restrospect).

My limpid pools of blue were just about to become waterfalls of gray when he walked up to the car (and took his own sweet time about it, too) and announced, "They must have changed it. It's only a $75 fine now. [which is still more than I can afford] You need to get those changed. I'm not going to write you up." Then he handed me a warning and without a single other word - even though I wished him a great evening - he turned and hightailed it back to those seat warmers.

Now I must refer to Officer Murphy as 'the kindly officer', musn't I?

17 Comments:

Blogger The Warbler said...

Martha,

But don't you know what I headed for as soon as I was safely in my own kitchen!

2/11/2006 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear.
Glad your guardian angel, or just your own sweet nature was able to evoke at least a bit of kindness out of officer Murphy and get him to drop that ticket down to a warning.
Hope you soon get those enchanting Warbler vanity plates for your enchanting personality.
Living for la vida loca
M

2/11/2006 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheers!dear.

2/11/2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

All this talk about romance and then Officer Obey must have got yer heart all a-twitter, Warlber! And then a real blizzard Sunday ... hoped you stocked up the vittles & Shirazz. Choclate?

Um, don't forget you need the insurance form, then the registration, and maybe one of those vehicle inspections where they put a Clean Air Haid nerddle up the poop-shoot of your car. I know, poor car ...

Glad you're OK, safe, and all that.
Sam

2/11/2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Sorry, Sam, even an Irish policeman couldn't get my heart twitterin' these days. Unless he sings Barry Manilow songs...

2/11/2006 9:49 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

martha,
not fair to make me actually chuckle when there's a baby on mt chest!

2/11/2006 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear!
Gasp!
Now that you mention it, Barry Manilow may indeed by an Irish folk singer! I've always loved---
O'Mandy!

Cheers.
M.

2/11/2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

freudian slip? I'm pretty sure I meant MY chest. 'MT' and my chest don't even belong in the same paragraph.

2/11/2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Is this another intelligence test? Now I have to google for MT ...

Well it's so boring we invented a game, like getting a bag of chinese fortune cookies. You read the fortune and have to add "in bed" at the end - it can be funny if the wine is working right.

Lori is ignoring me because the Food Channel has a big deal on how to make chocolate. Deep, dark, hot, brown "natural" chocolate. You need coke-ho beans or something.

"Let's make forune cookies instead, dear!"

Even the dogs looked at me like I was completely nutso. Been that kind of day ...

2/11/2006 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my parents moved to Maine the first thing I told them was GET YOUR PLATES CHANGED. I had heard from many friend that were from the state that the troopers like out of staters. Sorry for your troubles.

2/11/2006 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear.
Are we communicating telepathically before the my comments are posted to your blog? You postings seem to anticpate my comments.

Spooky!
Must be the shiraz

Living for la vida loca
M

2/11/2006 10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sam

mt washington, mt katahdin, mt wildcat, mt warbler.

try to catch the analogy.

2/11/2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I never heard of Mount Warbler, she must be much more famous that I originally thought. I'm afraid I'm not very smart today and better had stop before a make a boob out of myself. *wink*

2/11/2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Everett said...

Hi Warbler, Did you know that RI has the same thirty day plate change over law? The only police chief that ever enforced it rigorously was Paul Riker! Right now there are probably a hundred cars sitting at houses and parking lots with plates from Maine to Mexico. I know, 'cause I am at these houses "puttin' out the propane" and see them.

2/12/2006 7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

$500, that was a good one.

heh,heh,heh

2/12/2006 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, i forgot to sign that last message

2/12/2006 11:16 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Ev,
It's my understanding that most states have that law. But since the car's registered under my husband's name and he still lives in Rhode Island, I imagine that he can't be forced to change his plates. Which is probably the REAL reason Officer Murphy and his $500 joke (see comment above) wrote us a warning - because my husband is still a RI res.

2/12/2006 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter