Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, February 04, 2006

When A Man Loves A Woman

I'm sure I'll make the "feminists" angry with me for this one. Tough. I'm an equal opportunist, but I have to admit I'm rather infatuated with femininity - my own, especially. I can't think of anything more powerful or beautiful than my gender and all that entails.

Which brings me to John Wayne.

It doesn't surprise a lot of people to know that listed in my Top Twenty favorite films (c'mon, there's no way I can have under forty favorite films, there's just too many) are "Singin' In The Rain" and "Every Musical Ever Known To Mankind", a coupla period pieces like "Lady Jane" and "Elizabeth" (No, not PMS pieces, that would be 'Steel Magnolias' and 'Terms of Endearment' - movies women watch when they need a good cry). But it always seems to surprise folks that two of my top five are John Wayne movies. Hey, I like Apple Pie, Hot Dogs and Chevy Trucks, too. (old chevys) "The Quiet Man" - one of my all time favs. I break out the video every St. Patrick's Day because the networks always cut the best snippets out - especially my favorite line "Here's a stick to beat the lovely lady". The other? "McLintock". Which is "The Quiet Man" 15 years later in the Wild West. Which is really Taming of The Shrew meets John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

Oh sure, I know, it's sexist and old fashioned and demeaning to women. Sure. If you DON'T GET WOMEN. No woman actually wants a big bully to subjugate, dominate and humiliate her in public with draggings and spankings, especially when the whole town is cheering and rooting him on and old women are saying "Here's a lovely stick..." At least, women who aren't in need of counseling. But it's the magic formula and, dare I say it, the metaphor for companionable marriages. Trite, sure. But, think about it. John Wayne is strong, wealthy, tall, attractive, women want him and men want to be him. He's always got commen sense, an injured sense of honor, well-respected by all except the nincompoops, charitable, honest, etc., etc. And he packs a mean straight-arm. The man is everything the female of the species looks to find in a male of the species. Nor is he willing to settle for some little milquetoast, cry to momma, I'll just sit here on the sidelines and let you do all the thinking for me while I birth the babies gal. He always wants...well, Maureen O'Hara. Beautiful. Strong. Opinionated. Generous. Kind. And one hell of a temper. And red-headed. Men can't resist a red-head, from what I've observed.

The metaphor? A woman doesn't want a strong man who'll publicly spank her. What a woman really wants is to be herself, warts and all: opinions, tempers, fiery tantrums (which, of course, a true lady waits to have until home), mistakes. We want men who love a gal with spunk. A man who not only isn't threatened by a woman who is true to herself, her sex and her values, but isn't afraid of him, either. And, in the movies, a man who lets his wife roundhouse him and clenches his teeth as he says, "Now, Katie, I've taken about all the jaw I'm gonna take from you" before he chases her through the streets in her pantaloons. And she never has to worry that he's gonna smack her back. You know, someone in control of himself.

Everybody wants validation and acceptance. It's part of what makes us human. All woman have a Mary Kate Danahur or a Katie McLintock in us. And we just want a little, make that a BIG John Wayne type (at least the walk) who loves God, Country and Motherhood and finds a woman with fire, spirit and a temper (well, I AM part Irish, after all) something worth fighting for.

The only draw back is that McLintock is about two and a half hours long, Patrick Wayne STILL can't act and no woman can make temper tantrums look as good as Maureen O'Hara. AFter all, real life isn't really in Innishfree or McLintock County.

Still...

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, darn it, you've made want to get dig out my copy of 'The Quiet Man', just to watch it again. There are other good 'Irish' movies that are enjoyable to watch('Michael Collins' and 'The Road to Perdition'), but 'The Quiet Man' is a classic.

Since you enjoy the dynamics between O'Hara and Wayne in 'The Quiet Man' and 'McClintoc', you might also want to check out John Ford's 'Rio Grande'.

2/05/2006 2:44 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Own it. Also own 'Katie Elder's Sons', 'The Flying Leathernecks' and 'True Grit'. Fill yer arms...

2/05/2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Oh, wait, wait, wait, I have 'Rio Bravo'- I get all those Rios confused. Rio Grande, Rio Lobo, Rio Bravo, Flying Down to Rio...

2/05/2006 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget 'The Road to Rio'..hmmm. or wasn't that a Crosby and Hope movie?

You've gone and done it now. I have to break out my John Wayne box set and watch 'True Grit' and 'The Shootist', after I've finished with 'The Quiet Man'.

2/06/2006 12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite John Wayne movie is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence". He played a supporting role, which is just the right amount of John Wayne for me. I like him, but in measured doses.

2/06/2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Whereas I like Jimmy Stewart, but in measured doses. Liberty Valance, there's a song that'll get stuck in your head. And "Stagecoach", of course, a classic. But, then, who can exclude 'The Green Berets'?

2/06/2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Okay, so while we're at it: Brannigan, Angel & The Badman, Fort Apache, Rooster Cogburn, Big Jake, Chisum, The Fighting Kentuckian, Sands of Iwo Jima, Hondo, and let's not forget The Searchers.

2/06/2006 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He wasn't in Brokeback mountain?

2/06/2006 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

according to Miller in "Repo Man", he could have been! If this reference is too obscure,, follow the link.(about halfway down the page

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/quotes)

2/06/2006 4:11 PM  
Blogger Everett said...

I have always been a JW fan and of all those movies named in other comments, the one I liked best and remains stuck in my mind to this day is, "The Searchers" It was the first time my lady friend caught me leaking tears in the theatre.

2/06/2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Did you see Ron Howard's remake with Cate Blanchette and Tommy Lee Jones? I loooovvvvee both of them! And I thought it was a pert good remake.

2/06/2006 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't beat "The Searchers" when it comes to Westerns. In it you have The Duke playing both hero and villain. Ethan Edwards was JW's favorite role, or so I've been told.

2/08/2006 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter