Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Just My Imagination

I was going to write a little tirade on my problems with authority and my heartfelt justifications when I popped in a Temptations CD. Suddenly a feeling of amusement, silliness and a broad grin flooded over me. First, the not quite wah-wah guitar with the triplets leading into the bass' parallel, somewhat inverse to "My Girl" line: doom, dedoodedoo doom....then the muted rim shot every two and four...unh, chick, unh, chick. "Each day from my window I watch her as she passes by..."

I have wonderful memories of this song, too. (What song don't I?) A houseful of friends, a kick ass stereo system (not mine, dagnabbit), veggie chili simmering, too many cigarettes, too early to drink, the Temptations and an impromptu stylistic back-up routine. We could dance, we three. It was a wonderful time before judgements became clouded, loyalties became divided, and friendships were destroyed for the wrong reasons.

"Every night on my knees I pray
Dear Lord, hear my plea
Don't ever let another take her love away or I will
surely die"

This song also reminds me of my first serious relationship. You know the one: where you're young, full of hope, madly in love and a clueless idiot? The first time you ever fell in love - how deliciously tortuous was that? We bared our souls, our hopes and dreams, our bad poetry. It never occurred to "us" (I speak for the general masses, not the specific few who outclassed us)to worry about the details. And the details are what become so important after the first headiness is over, aren't they? She likes her bed made in the morning cuz she has a thing about tidy, centered sheets. He likes the toothpaste squeezed from the bottom so he's always aware of volume. She wants her family over all the time. He doesn't.

"...but in reality, she doesn't even know me.
Just my imagination
runnin' away with me..."

I have always lived in my head a great deal. In times of great stress or great loneliness it becomes an important coping mechanism. It beats nicotine, booze or pot any day. It does not beat chocolate, back rubs or sex. I'm just sayin'. We all have had our imaginations run away with us. Some more than others, I'm shame-faced to admit. What do you think a Powerball ticket is, after all?

I think I'm gonna play that song again as soon as the baby wakes up and see if I can remember where all those snaps, spins and step-togethers go.

Why don't you join me? Find an old favorite of yours that you haven't listened to in years, crank it up, close your eyes and let your imagination run away with you.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

You write so good you're scaring us, Warbler!

Didn't you change your hair again and hey where's BIB? No action over there on Block Island - are they all in hibernation now? Hey and none of youse guys except Everett ever check on my blogs.

Man, I just blew out a string of fake red chili peppers lights on my Christmas tree. Trust me, it really blew good. Talk about a last-minute bummer.

The in-laws will be here any day! Anyone got any my phone number is BR-549. Will pay cash.

12/21/2005 11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not true, Sam, I check your blog on regular occasions, but I find I enjoy reading and don't post. I shall try to overcome the not posting part. As for my hair: nope, changed not a thing. Kept the same brown. Kept the same split ends. I had just taken it out of a ponytail, though, when my daughter snapped the pic - maybe that's it.

You left out an important word on your comment! Anyone got any what? What do you need? Valium? Chili pepper lights? Tequila? Tell us!

12/22/2005 12:09 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Imagination?

Touche, dear Warbler. Well it certainly has been a fun year, when we started blogging. We've made at least three great friends who called us, saying they read our blog. "Where y'at?"

"In your driveway!"

Well, we're not exactly socialites, but we always were able to get together some food and spirits and gosh, it was midnight before we knew what was happening, it was so much fun.

Here's to a few relatively warm days before the natsies of February. Oh, and about the hair thing, I remember a picture you you blond! /sam

12/22/2005 4:55 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Natsies?

12/22/2005 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natsies - aren't those the damned little, itty, tiny bugs that fly around your face in summer and get really annoying?

12/22/2005 8:52 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Umm, yeah. Well anyway. sometimes in January the weather moderates a little, like maybe to 40-50 degrees. Call it Indian Winter? One time in Austin TX it hit 101 degrees (maybe January 1999). Then things turn real nasty in February, like below zero sometimes, sometimes for two or three weeks solid, like yuppie permafrost.

That's what I meant by the "nasties." That's when the Sachems, Manisses, and Great Spirits all head way down South. Sorry Paula, Ole Missou ain't far enough down south - they already had six inches of snow before winter ever started. Lawd I hate most Februarys, even with its potentially redeeming Valentine's Day.

Hey check out "Valentine's Day" on some searches like Google. Wierd story and wierd cat, it turns out. Lots of uncertainty there too. But you're right, let's get through Sunday and take it a day at a time.

Cheers (and hope ya don't mind the spam),
Sam

12/22/2005 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter