Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Thursday, June 02, 2005

John Adams Is My Hero

Okely-dokely, here's the thing. I'm going to say something that I'm sure is going to get me in trouble. But I feel so very strongly about it. And since I feel so strongly and I know that I'm putting myself in an unpopular position, I think I ought to qualify the statements first. After I voiced my view(s) at a knitting party, it was suggested that I join the Double Ender Committee - if they'd even have me. Had I known that it would still be over two years since I said "If I were staying, I would", I would have offered them my warm body to help out. But I missed the boat on that one, yessiree. And before I go any farther, as well, let me say that I think the Double Ender Committee does a great job for no glory. They organize a parade, Fourth of July Festivities and a Public Fireworks Display and I'm pretty sure very few of us even know who they are (thanks Miss Connie!).

However...

Here's my deal: The Fourth of July parade already has a theme. I'll say it again so you don't think I'm hedging. The Fourth of July Parade already has a theme. I'm sure most people love the themes of "Your Favorite Movie" or "Your Favorite TV Show"...but, folks, I mean it. The Fourth of July Parade already has a theme. If you absolutely must have some sort of theme to tie the entries together, please, how about a patriotic theme? Say: Historical Monuments, Great Places in America (Like everybody wouldn't do BI, right?), Parks & Recreation, Freedoms and Liberties, What Makes America Great, Great Moments in American History, What Makes America America. These are appropriate themes for a parade that already has a theme. I don't mean any disrespect to the Double Ender Committee - like I said, they do a great service. But men and women put their livelihoods, their lives, their families lives on the line in order to assure a more perfect union. If you really gotta have these silly particular themes of Favorite Movies and such, might I suggest a Block Island Founders Day Parade?

Now, in this day and age, I realize that it becomes difficult to separate politics from government, but I hope that this one day a year we certainly can accomplish such a small favor. I'm not a huge fan of the current administration. In fact, I don't think I've been any fan of any administration since Reagan. I have a problem with the current political state in the country period. It seems to me, with some very notable exceptions (McCain, for one), that men and women are groomed almost from birth to be a part of the political machine. And these people aren't the kind of folks I want making decisions for me. I want the guy who made mistakes and then learned from them. I want the guy (and when I say 'guy' I'm really just using that as a gender exclusive pronoun) who smoked pot in college and then stopped because it was time to grow up. I want the guy who has worked his way through something, who has had to live without health insurance, who has faced an unwanted/unplanned pregnancy, whose wife works at the DMV and gave up her dreams of Interior Design to help feed the family. I want the guy who has gone through all of this and then made his life better through hard work, determination, and good networking. But I digress...what was really in the back of my mind was something to the effect that in this day and age of media savy politics, sound bytes and spins, a man like Abraham Lincoln, arguably the greatest President this country has ever elected, would never be elected President. He was unattractive, unkempt, gloomy and a man of uncompromising principal. He also was a great networker and good politician, but that's the territory.

This country was founded for political, personal and economic freedom. Our founding fathers were idealists. And our government was/is based on high ideals - the kind of ideals that very few people stop to appreciate more than once or twice a year. These ideals mean something. Something great. Something important. Something so very fundamental and yet so incredibly elusive to so many. They are defended by men and women throughout the ages who have offered the ultimate sacrifice. Our honor (and sometimes our dishonor) has been defended with blood and sweat and pride.

July 4th is our country's birthday. It is the day that all Americans are to take pride in the fact that while we may all sit on different sides of the fence politically, we are thankful that we are allowed education, freedom of speech, the right to behave rudely while visiting Islands, the right to choose our own paths and the right to financial prosperity. We can worship whatever religion we choose - or none at all. There are very few governments in this world that allow its citizens to regularly descend on the capitol in hoardes and are legally bound to protect the rights and safety of those hoardes.

My relations past have served in the Navy and Army. I have relatives present who also serve in the Navy, Army and Marines. I have friends in the Reserves who, several at 40 years old, proudly honor their obligations even though some have lost businesses and spouses.

It is my personal view (and does not reflect the opinion[s] of Blogspot, my husband or anybody else in this known universe) that a Fourth of July Parade is fun, exciting and filled with candy and water balloons. But it should also be a hallmark of patriotism and honor for those who sacrificed lives and livelihoods so that our nation could be one, under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

Anyway...that's just what I think.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

brav-frickin-o

6/05/2005 12:33 AM  
Blogger blockislandblog said...

You make a good point. I believe the "theme" idea was implemented several years ago after a float crossed the line from family friendly to fiendly. (I seem to remember whips and Goth girls, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was the bikini contest float.) When people are unable to remember that there are children in the audience, guidance is sometimes required.

I think your ideas about patriotic themes are great. The current trend is to celebrate American culture. TV, Movies, decades. Why not get the kids to research something they don't see on TV. Great american authors and their stories. People who inspire, historic moments. Even favorite places on Block Island might work.

What I would like to see changed about the parade, is allowing water guns and water balloons. I watched horrified last year as some idiot on a float squirted a 4-year old in the face, intentionally. (Maybe they weren't aiming for the face but...). I think if the parents hadn't been consoling the child, that one of them might have physically removed the offender from the parade themselves. I also saw several people complain that their digital cameras had gotten hit. Electronics + Water = Useless gadget. I don't go to a parade to get assaulted by float riders.
All in all, I think the parade is great. The floats get better each year, and I think the parade gets longer each year. Not bad for a small town. (And the fireworks are fantastic.)

6/05/2005 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a really good point, BIB, but I don't think the theme really is the way to go about things. I think actual entry forms (still free, of course) with rules and regs listed (not a ton, just laying it out for those without common sense)such as: all entries must be family appropriate - those considered to be inappropriate for minors or others will not be allowed to participate; water guns, water balloons and all other forms of water paraphanalia will not be allowed in the parade (and then some mention of expensive equipment and four years olds squirted in the face a la you would illustrate the point); riders must begin and end the parade at designated points (no hopping in the truck in front of the bank, etc.). You know, simple guidelines enforced by the Double Ender Committee (or chosen representative) and someone who can say - honestly - if something is too graphic.

By the way, I believe it was the Juice 'n Java S&M entry that you're remembering.

And the parade does get better every year, but one of the things I'd really like to see is more local representatives...and it goes a little something like this: The Churches, The School Soccer/Baseball/Basketball/insert group here Team, The Rec Department, Any Kind of Kids' Groups - you know, with their bikes decorated with 42 thousand streamers and playing cards clothespinned to their spokes - The Gardeners Club, The Arts and Crafts Guild, The Chamber of Commerce, The Lions Club. I know, I know, not everybody has the time, money or resources to do something...but gosh, with the right person spearheading, you could send out letters in March or April to all the island businesses and groups, etc. and put an ad in the paper and really start pushing the parade as an Island parade. Perhaps some rules and regs would lure more of our local groups to participate? Perhaps making a bit of a deal out of things might make for a little friendly competition? Perhaps putting a blatant challenge in the paper might up the entries?

6/05/2005 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, oh, wait...you could have a five dollar entry fee and the pot would be a 50/50 fundraiser. Or all the money would go to the American Legion or Volunteers for Animals or the Block Island School Friends. The possibilities are endless!!!!

6/05/2005 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter