Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Deleted Post

I have deleted a previous post because my husband has requested that I not make the trials and travails of our home purchase public. I'll do the best I can. But in response to BIB, who was one of the replies, I do have to say: Sure, I can do the same "creative decorating" that the former homeowners did when we viewed the house...but those aren't the kinds of holes that are too comfortable come winter. And one of the reasons we bought our own home was so that we could stop living in establishments that weren't kept to our own, not so terribly high standards. So, while it's a funny thought, a $200k price and the downpayment of our life savings should garner us some truth in selling, don't cha think? By the way, for those few who did read the post prior to its deletion, I just thought I'd add the the bad news just keeps coming...there's more fuel that's been added to the fire.

2 Comments:

Blogger blockislandblog said...

Ouch! Sorry, I was thinking a fixer upper in Maine would be in the $100,000 - 125,000 range or cheaper. (Naive, I know.) And when you said fixer upper, I had envisioned an old victorian, in need of paint, with horse hair plaster, old windows, etc. Sometimes the mind paints a picture...
I hope you aren't mad at me, I was trying to lighten the mood.
You should really hash it out with that inspector, he obviously didn't inspect much.

5/11/2005 7:38 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Ah, the joys of moving into a new old house and finding all the proverbial bats in the belfry. I feel for ya. We're buying down on an island off Texas and the inspector dude says "like, you're not going to insure the downstairs, right?" We stared back and dumbly mumbled "whaaa da f...?"

"Yeah, if it rains more than an inch you'll have a geyser shooting up to the second floor."

Wow. We had already signed the contract and now we have a freaking Old Faithful living in the basement.

Fortunately, this house was designed as built on piers, so (as he sez) the first floor was "designed" to flood. Just don't store too much down there that's valuable, maybe just the washer and drier and some garden tools. "You could add some gravel down there, maybe a french drain and some pumps," the House Detective helpfully added.

So now I feel like the little Dutch Boy with his finger in the dike, trying to hold back Old Faithful. But by golly, us tough folks, we're like case hardened steel nails and will persevere, not bending. Ya never know, I might jack up that house two feet higher. Lord knows, with the real estate prices going through the roofs because of all the yuppies and rusticators, we'll come out OK in the end.

Just remember, folks who go through life's challenges and stormy weather and wear the storms and survive are a hell of a lot more interesting than those who get everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Go get 'em!
~Sam

5/11/2005 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter