Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Sunday, May 29, 2005

A Hymn to Her

(And if you can tell me what musical the title's a take off from...I'll buy you a beer!)

Well, I was going to expound on my favorite summertime pet peeve. While there's lots of summertime pet peeves, and they usually have much to do with traffic, mopeds, rude people, congestion and a lack of common courtesy, I actually have a favorite Block Island isolated pet peeve. But this, too, shall wait.

I'm not feeling terribly peevish right now? Why? I've just spent another fun Sunday down at St. Ann's Episcopal Church. (Yes, indeedy, I did say fun) I'm not Episcopal and goodness knows I can think of lots of other fun things to do on Sunday...but let me tell you, folks, things are cookin' down there! Rev. Terry Matthews is young (ish), energetic, accessible and has something to say. She is such a breath of fresh air.

I had sworn off attending church - again!- because...well, let's just say that if I'm going to give up my Sunday morning to attend church, I don't want it to be a drain on my soul or my pocketbook. There are some churches where you walk in and immediately wonder how long you'll be there and your mind starts wandering to what you'll do when you get home and what you could be doing if your wife/mother/girlfriend/boyfriend didn't drag you to this place and you don't even believe in organized religion anyway! Then there's tiny little St. Ann's. And it is tiny. If you don't get there a few minutes early, you're not getting a seat. (Don't worry, they go to two services starting June 19th - but it was SRO today!) It's one of the most lighthearted liturgical services I've ever been to. The first four Sundays, I couldn't understand a single bit of what was going on. But I was truly amazed at how many people just smiled and said "just wing it" or "it doesn't matter, you get the gist". I don't know how many actual Episcopaleans actually attend, but I'm seeing a lot of faces from around the Island. Young and old. There's no Sunday School, but there is a coffee hour afterwards where (weather permitting) everybody stands on the deck, eats pastries and drinks coffee and these people really seem to genuinely like being there!

Not to mention, the music rocks. Well, darn near close. Could it be that they have a former musical theatre accompanist/dueling rock and roll piano bar player front and center with her beloved keyboard, Quasimodo? Or the choir of one: George who works at the Harborside and desperately wants to stay out here - because he's young and idealistic which is really what we need more of.

Look, if you're not into organized religion...don't care. Do your thing and be happy at it. For me, I like the fellowship. I like the people. I really like the music. I like the message Rev. Terry's giving out - I can't really call it preaching, it's more like leading. But if you're looking for something a lot less stuffy than the usual, and you want to get your soul uplifted and take away something that you can use during the week, come check it out.

And sing. Loud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter