Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother MacRae





Ah, Mother's Day. That Rockwell-esque day when Mother's sleep in and awake to an inedible breakfast in bed. When cards and handmade gifts lay in wait for the 'unsuspecting' woman who never realized macaroni necklaces are worth shedding a few happy tears.

As for me, since the baby was the only family around this morning and he did allow me to sleep an extra fifteen minutes. We ended up with some lovely poached eggs (four and a half minutes exactly, thank you very much) and a sink full of yesterday's dishes. Yesterday, I did get to go back to bed - after I prepared the baby's breakfast and waited for my husband to take the dog out and go to the restroom (I guess he's allowed). I got to sleep almost until 8:30 before I was awoken so we could go to Lowe's for a cabinet I didn't know I was getting and Sear's for some sawhorses. But yesterday Daddy taught Baby how to pick dandelions and give them to Mommy. So today I can honestly say I was showered with flowers. And my husband did try to take me out to dinner. It wasn't his fault the baby wouldn't cooperate. I still got a mushroom/swiss/bacon burger with onion rings - takeout from the Holiday Inn. And it was quite tasty. And I almost got a shoulder rub in the evening except the baby was too upset to sleep in his crib. Again. But the thought was there, right?

And today my daughter gave me candles. A safe bet. I love candles. Love. And she almost made it the whole day without picking a fight. Almost. And the baby did get upset at the yelling and bit the hell out of my leg, but no blood was drawn by either child. So it's all good.

My husband has been yelled at -by me, more than once- for buying me jewelry when I can't even afford...well, you know...a lot of things. But this time, I think I might have actually earned the pretty baubles.

Happy Mother's Day to all those mothers, children with mothers and people who need a mother. Even the muthas. I think I speak for all of us when I sy, "What was I thinking?"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I offer this epitaph from a Penobscot, Maine gravestone:
Here lies a poor woman,
Who always was tired;
She lived in a house,
Where help was not hired;
Her last words on earth were,
'Dear friends, I am going where
washing ain't done, nor sweeping or sewing; But everything here is exact to my wishes, for where they don't eat, there's no washing dishes;I'll be where loud anthems will always be ringing, but having no voice, I'll be clear of the singing. Don't mourn for me now, don't mourn for me never, I'm going to do nothing forever and ever."

5/15/2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

A - frickin' - men!

5/15/2006 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter