Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Telephone Line

It's been a long time since I've sat down and learned a new song. It's not as easy for me to play by ear as it is for some, but I'm still thankful that I can muddle through.

The little table-top stereo, expressly for this purpose, that was my Christmas present is broken. I had to borrow the teenager's boom box and it cost me dearly, I can tell you. I have learned how to handle it without disturbing the taped-in-its-perfect-position antenae.

It was years ago I first heard the song. I was very, very young. I'd add another 'very' but y'all know better. My brother had all of ELO's albums, filed right next to Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery or whatever that silly LP was. When he was gone, I'd sneak downstairs and play ELO Ole' or one of the others. Several years ago, I found ELO's greatest hits in a two CD set. ELO is probably almost as cool as Barry Manilow, I know, but I like them just the same. One of my favorite songs is 'Telephone Line'. It was pre-disco sell-out and that makes it even better (Don't Bring Me Down? Come on!).

For the last few weeks I've been playing Telephone Line (when I actually can) on the 'puter and wondering if it would translate to the piano. Doesn't hurt that my keyboard adds strings, either. I'm still not sure. But I sat down with the CD and the carefully situated on the cat scratch post boom box and began to play along. It wasn't one of the most difficult tunes I've ever had to figure out. I have two Stevie Wonder songs that took me days to get. (Sometimes I'd have to play the same three measures over and over and pick each note of a chord out singly because my jazz theory is extremely rudimentary) But once I'd figured out the key, it was a fifteen minute thing. The only hard part is the beginning sequence that is reminiscent of the notes of a dialing keypad.

A friend and I were just discussing this song, so now there's a note of reference as I try to re-learn the words and figure out how the hell I'm gonna turn this song into my own.

"Hello. How are you?
Have you been all right
all these lonely, lonely (five of 'em), lonely, lonely, lonely nights?
Is what I'd say.
I'd tell you everything
If you'd pick up the telephone."

My favorite part, true to forn, is the
"Doo wop, shooby doo wop
Doo wop doo lang lang
Blue days, black nights
Doo wop doo lang lang."

Possibly because it's the easiest standard chord progression in the history of popular music. I know, I know. I'm just an old softie.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catchy tune....
Now I can't get it out of my head.

4/02/2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

roll over beethoven, you're snoring again.

4/02/2006 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. How you feelin?
Are you still the same?
Don't you realize the things we did we did,
Were all for real.
Gotta dream. I just can't believe,
It all faded out of view

Doo wop etc

4/03/2006 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter