Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, April 08, 2006

I Hear Music

Random thought: It's really too bad Scott Bakula's so married. We could make beautiful duets together.

I have been in a hellaciously bad mood for two days now. A real get the hell out of my way, off my back, put up or shut up, who the bleep asked you, tylenol and wine doesn't work kind of mood. I don't enjoy bad moods. Don't think that's an obvious. There are people who revel in them. Many of them related. Not mid-westerners.

When I'm this pissed off and hating the world and my place in it, I want to be with people/persons who don't feed the nastiness. That's really all I can hope for. There are very few people who can actually diffuse me and only two of them are still alive, and (unfortunately) they're not at my beck and call.

Instead I find myself in the company of negative, sometimes downright nasty people who enjoy pushing other people's buttons. Oh, you get upset when someone uses derisive or prejudicial language? Well then, by all means, let's do exactly that and watch you get upset! What are you getting upset for? It's just a joke, lighten up. And, of course, I don't believe their goal is to reduce me to tears, yet it managed to happen. Not that I was personally insulted. I wasn't. It's just that I really don't feel that I'm a bad person, or that my standards and ideology are so 'out there' that they should be subject to frequent ridicule. People who get their kicks that way piss me off even more.

On a bright yet expensive note. Irish convinced me (I'm an easy sell) to get iTunes. Boy was that hard to not buy $300 worth of music in one night. I was in 30 sec. clip heaven (but what was Lynyrd Skynyrd doing in the Jazz section, I have to wonder). There was Mingus, Coltraine, Herbie Hancock, Diana Krall, Cassandra Wilson, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, The Monkees, The Partridge Family (oh yes I did!). Benny Goodman, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Nina Simone...and I didn't even get to Barry Manilow, Abba, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald or The Allman Brother's Band yet. All this great music and what did I buy? Three songs by Laurie Berkner, the rock goddess of the pre-school set. Now if only there were an iPod to download to. Maybe for my birthday.

Speaking of which. Happy Birthday to our erstwhile blogfriend, Irish. I hope you get everything you want for your birthday. Including Shakira...

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear.
For what it's worth.

When surrounded by negative people who gain pleaure from aggravating and manipulating you, it might help to remember and call upon, in your heart and mind, the names of all those who truly love you and have or continue to bring goodness into your life.

Sting has a song out: "Whenever I say your name" from his sacred love recording:

Whenever I say your name, whenever I call to mind your face
Whatever bread's in my mouth, whatever the sweetest wine that I taste
Whenever your memory feeds my soul, whatever got broken becomes whole ....


One word of warning, he's shaped the song along romantic love, but in my expereince it also works when recalling all those who thorughout life have affirmed and filled my life with postiive and loving experiences.....friends, family members, loves present and past.

Living for ???
M

4/08/2006 10:54 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Dear Martha,
You have become a veritable spiritual gift these days, dear, and I'm the better for it.

Speaking of gifts. You shouldn't have, but I'm not going to insult you or me by not saying how thrilled I am, how sweet you are and how much I will enjoy it. Thank you very much.


And never forget, Sting's hot.

4/08/2006 11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear.
Sting is sizzling hot!
Saw him in concert at the dunk this time last year!
I'll never forget it. The music was great and he was totally handsome.

I truly enjoy your blog and marvel at your talent for framing life's joys and challenges with insight, passion, joy and great heart.
Not to forget the wonderfully playful moments of mystery and espionage.

So, thanks for all you contribute to my own journey!

living for love,
M

4/08/2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

And I find your company on this shared pathway inspirational and winsome (or is that 'wine-some'?). And sometimes mysteriously/anonymously companionable.

You saw Sting? I drool in my jealousy. I saw Shaun Cassidy in concert once. I was 13. He shook his butt at the audience a lot.

4/08/2006 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear!
Yes, winesome, definitely winesome!

Living for the 'cheers'
M

4/09/2006 12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday wish.

Martha, I tend to be fairly immune to inspirational philosophy as a rule. But I think your making me "mune" (hey, if there can be immunity, there can be munity, just not on the Bounty)

4/09/2006 1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Irish,
Thanks, that's very kind of you.
If it's any consolation, I'm drawing on classical ideas as opposed to New Age musings! Plus they're all mixed in with a healthy dose of real Irish spirit! Truly.
Living for the vida loca!
M

4/09/2006 9:07 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Munity on the Bounty. The kid kills me.

4/09/2006 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Baby! I still love you!

4/09/2006 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apparently so much that you forgot how to spell your own name!

4/09/2006 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HuH????????
How did 'Mark' forget to spell his own name?

4/09/2006 3:03 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Mork?

Happy belated birthday Irish and Martha, you simply must talk this girl into being positive, happy, and glowing, even if life sends you the bad stuff, and lots of it. Very few of us boys are very credible in this area ... thanks.

WWED?

What would Everett do?

4/09/2006 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Sonnet for Me Ladye Warbler

Music do I hear?
Music
Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
When time is broke and no proportion kept!
So is it in the music of men's lives.
And here have I the daintiness of ear
To cheque time broke in a disorder'd string;
But for the concord of my state and time
Had not an ear to hear my true time broke.

4/09/2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Thank you, Will. I do so love your work.

For the two anony...posters...I know several 'Mark's and one Marc. Let's not assume that one is the other.

4/09/2006 6:24 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Speaking of, there's a lovely little Celtic band in Kansas City by the name of Tullamore. They have a website which I should look up the url of. But I'm lazy. The next time MARK drops by, he can tell us what it is. He also knew Marc and can understand the loyalty faux pas. But we might as well use this opportunity to plug the band. They're quite good.

4/09/2006 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, if you click on 'Mark' you'll find its a link to that band's website!
No need for hte URL

4/09/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Huh. Amazing I didn't think of that. Silly like a fox.

4/09/2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger Everett said...

Sam Asked, "what would Everett do?" Well he'd run and hide in shame to have missed all this 'cause I've gotten myself in deep with some goings on at the school and haven't had time to read anything, blogs, books mags zilch! So sorry to have missed it but Happy belated birthday Paula. 22 -23 isn't it?

4/14/2006 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter