Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Monday, November 07, 2005

Tonight

Tonight my house is full of people. Upstairs are my in-laws and my children's great grandmother. Downstairs on one couch is my teen (who wasn't all that put out about sleeping on the new cushy sofa) and on the other is my dog, who cannot be kept off the couch anyway, so why bother. Upstairs on the other side of the house is a husband and a baby as two cats prowl back and forth looking somewhat like they're members of a roving, balletic gang. I can almost hear the music in my head: "Mouse, mouse, crazy mouse...come out, mouse. Mousie, mousie, silly mousie, come out and play, mouse." They'd snap if they could, I'm sure.

But I digress.

My house is full. My simple dinner eaten and appreciated. Everyone's asleep, the new front door is installed - all except one side of the deadbolt (but it still works all you who would break in to steal two Elmos and a comfy black naughahyde chair saved from the dumpster). I've waited for this moment for...three months? All are occupied. I am awake. There is no baby asleep anywhere on my person.

And I am lonely.

The visit from my husband's relatives has been nice, actually. Sometimes even downright fun. Of course, I haven't had adult conversation in quite some time so it could just be me. But I've enjoyed it. Enjoyed cooking - or not, in the case of breakfast. Enjoyed having a house full of someone other than just myself and a 13 month old (today!).

But, tonight, I am lonely.

Lonely for myself. Lonely to have the house completely to myself, light the candles, sing and play as loud as I want (without complaint of my song choices - hey, I don't work at a piano bar anymore), eat broccoli if I so choose. I am lonely for conversation other than politics, gossip, finances, the children and the sad, sorry state of our house. I am lonely for mental intimacy and spiritual renewal. I am lonely for my cousin and my aunt. I am lonely for the annual lighting of the Plaza on Thanksgiving Night and I am lonely for familiar sights and sounds. I am lonely for the goodness of mankind on the news. I am lonely for my own good company. I am desperately lonely for a facial. (Well, maybe not lonely but desperate)

I am lonely for unconditional love given by someone other than my baby and my dog. I am lonely for a like mind. I am lonely for the man I married.

Most of all, I think, I am lonely for life. That every day investment of the soul into the day you are experiencing at that very moment. The - what's that silly phrase? - the carpe diem. Seize the dentist, or something like that. I am lonely for the way I used to experience my life. The passion, the mistakes, the happy coincidences, the long-forgottens and the happily remembereds. I am lonely for the energy, physical and mental, and the feeding of souls. Ah, yes, souls. And soul. I am also lonely for Al Green and Aretha Franklin.

Tonight. Tonight I'm lonely. Tomorrow I will wake up and be once more surrounded by my very unlonely day.

Just tonight.

16 Comments:

Blogger pankajchandna said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/07/2005 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that's why they call it the blues.

11/08/2005 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's Elton John have to do with this? ;)

11/08/2005 1:12 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Funny, I was just writing about my lonely guitar the other day. I will tell ya, the loneliest I've even been is flying by myself out of big airports, with thousands of peeps.

And maybe, just maybe, we thought you were having one of those "Liberace" moments! Elton is close///
LOL,
Sam

11/08/2005 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hours go so slowly,
And still the sky is light,
The moon burns bright,
And make this endless day,
endless night,

Tonight, Tonight.

11/09/2005 5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but really, you gotta love people who know their song cues!

11/09/2005 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a calm surrender to the rush of day
When the heat of the rolling world can be turned away
An enchanted moment, and it sees me through
It's enough for this restless warrior just to be with you

And can you feel the love tonight?

11/09/2005 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, was that love? I thought it was gas from this pinot noir...

11/09/2005 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,
If you look at it sideways you might actually see that it is love and not gas!

11/09/2005 10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...now that's good. Allow me to take a moment to appreciate...Just cuz Baby's Got Blue Eyes doesn't mean I'm Still Standing - even though it's just one glass. Good thing I'm not The Pilot.

11/09/2005 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling,
The b is back! You know pinot noir is especially good for Saturday night! Cause that's alright for dancing, especially when they play that old fav of mine.. Crocodile Rock.
Cheers!

11/09/2005 10:32 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Well, in that case, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me without letting The Pinball Wizard know that one more glass and it's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and hello Daniel! (He plays for [Benny and the] Jets)

11/09/2005 10:37 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Wow have you guys heard any new Patty Griffin lately; wow she rocks!

Professer Sam sez that if we were able to capture the flatulence emissions from everyone in the US, we probably could solve the energy crisis. The only problem is in the delivery - I mean are we talking gas-powered shavers with a handy hose here or what? Nope, sorry, dude; not in my world.

Susan Tedesci from Boston to Austin is playing on:
www.kgsr.com
Wow. Gotta go.

~Sam

11/09/2005 10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling,
This is definitely your song! But no more pinot! The things we do when we've had too much vino...make sorry seem to be the hardest word to say.
cheers

11/09/2005 10:42 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Pookie Bear,
I hope you don't mind that I'm drawing the line here. If we reach any harder for these...it'll be A Funeral For A Friend: me!

11/09/2005 10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed! Heading off to the palace to play the piano for queen. Thanks for the fun.
cheers

11/09/2005 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter