Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Who Do You See?

According to my site counter, my blog is averaging anywhere from 25 - 35 hits a day. A handful of folks leave a message (the inimitable Sam, Everett, Irish, etc.), occasionally a sense of humor will pop up (see: Stealing Fun) that is so unmistakeable I know in an instant that they're a Block Island or Mid-Western acquaintance.

It's a bit intimidating to know that there are so many people (to some it may not seem like a lot, but to me that's double the size of the Ecumenical Choir when I was directing) who take 30 seconds of their day to see what I have to say. Whew! I certainly hope I'm not supposed to suddenly grow a conscience and take a form of responsibility that is foreign and not so much fun to me. Should I change my format and preach? Witness? Testify? Respect? Recognize? (This is about to turn into an INXS song...) Or should I just continue to play it safe and talk about baby poop, lonely days, lonely nights (what? another song cue?), and my own human frailty. Hell, some days I'm lucky if I can even scrounge up enough conversation for a baby much less 25 reading aged people.

But it makes me wonder. Sure, obviously my relatives read. They don't post, but they email me later and say "gee, is the house any better"? Or "I read your blog today, you really need to call a plumber." (You think?) My daughter drops in occasionally (although we have an understanding about posting to each other's blogs now). I think her childhood companions' parents may stop in from time to time and the odd (and I mean 'odd') friend from Block Island. But that doesn't really account for so many readers.

It's a bit like the Powerball. I'm never gonna win. But it's fun to daydream about what I'd do with the money. I know I won't know everybody that drops by, but it's fun to wonder about who they are. How many are from Block Island? New England? Georgia (friends and relatives)? The Mid-West? How many say "ufta" at least five times a day without thinking about it? How many used to date me (should I apologize now or later)? How many are the current wife of my ex-husband (I already know the answer to that one, I'm just making a point)? Do you have any personal knowledge of me or did you just stumble upon this and check it from time to time to see if I mention Block Island/Bath/Kansas City. Do I owe you email? (cuz I'm, like, 4 or 5 months behind on most of my emails...*chagrinned*...sorry Barb) Are you in a penitentiary? Do they even allow inmates to access computers in the pen?

See? It's a lot like daydreaming about winning 324 million dollars. Only not as disappointing when you find out that some middle class retired guy who already has a swimming pool in his back yard won it and now can buy that second or third house he really wanted.

And with that...

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, I found your site while I was doing time with the other successful women who by virtue of their success and determination have managed to incur the wrath of businessmen. I loved your essays and your insights about small town life and life's frustrations. They sustained me during the long days of my incarceration. Even though I'm now out and at home I still log on to read...I just got hooked.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Martha S.

10/19/2005 7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it's basically just smart asses who stop by? Good. Smart asses I understand.

By the way, folks, you gotta check out Maryloo-hoo's blog. The name takes a bit of a leap of faith to click on, but it's well worth it, I guarandamntee it. (Although she's ruined my favorite Barry Manilow song for me)

10/19/2005 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No,it's not just smart asses who stop by. How can you forget about us? Don't sheep count?

10/19/2005 10:18 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

speaking of counting sheep...

10/19/2005 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course we're speaking of counting sheep. That's what makes us smart sheeps.

10/19/2005 10:23 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

yes, but if a sheep counts in the woods, does anybody sleep?

10/19/2005 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno. It depends. What is the sound of one sheep counting?

10/19/2005 10:31 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

woolly bully for you, I'm shear stumped.

10/19/2005 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw....you're just being sheepish. thanks for the fun, we're heading out before it gets too dark so that we may safely graze.

10/19/2005 10:36 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

I've heard there's other herds doing the same. Hey, maybe you'll be sheeps that pass in the night!

10/19/2005 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK....that was brilliant...you win

10/19/2005 10:43 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

oh no, my cuddly friend, I win because of your visit. You really do count.

10/19/2005 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still read your blog, but haven't posted for a while because I'm in protective custody ...you know that lambs and ivy deal and the peta backlash. Gotta go before they trace my computer location. 'bye
Bo

10/20/2005 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im from block island and it is very quit in the winter and there is almost no good stares open

10/21/2005 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter