Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Monday, September 26, 2005

Edrie Dodge

Speaking of forces of nature...

I've tried a few different drafts in memorial to Edrie. Her feisty, compassionate, stubborn, maternal, happy with her place in life nature. They all looked/sounded stupid to me. I just couldn't do her justice. I couldn't tell the stories right.

If it were up to Edrie, I'd be living on Block Island right now, in my own house on Old Town Road. If it were up to Edrie, I'd still be the director of the Ecumenical Choir. If it were up to Edrie, my husband would be coming home to his family every night. If it were up to Edrie, I would be under her wing for some time to come.

I wish it had been up to Edrie.

Edrie was a good Baptist woman who will sing with the angels and then bully them around a bit just so they know who's really in charge now.

Nobody represented the "true" Block Island culture more than Edrie. And she was exactly who you thought she was.

I loved her. I mean, I loved her.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is truly a beautiful testimony to Edrie. She was an incredible woman of great love, strength and integrity. Her passing is a great loss for the island community.
Thankyou for your touching tribute.

9/30/2005 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,

No, thank you. I just wish I had the words to do her justice. She meant a great deal to me.

9/30/2005 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm anony 9:30 above and I've been thinking about all the Edrie did, in so many different ways, to improve life for the island community. I am especially struck by the contrast of her love, commitment and generous spirit that enriched our common life, and the rareness of those qualities as we muddle through the many challenges that are currently facing the island. Her struggles, spirit, strength and kind-heartedness surely set an example for us all.

10/01/2005 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Warbler,
I often find myself talking to my Grandma, perhaps a way of reassurance about a situation... or well, in a special moment, that I somehow believe she's repsonsible for. I don't know how I stumbled onto this now, today, one day before.. the 7 year mark, but you coined my Grandma to a tee. I also understand now, why so many times people see her in me. I patterened so much of my life after her, with out even knowing it.. and I missed her so much in our travels with the military, so dearly. (& now I still do) So thank you for your words. My daughter who's 9 now, (sometimes going on 49,) reminds me of her with these little faces and expressions that she surely can't remember of her Great Grandmother... it's such a blessing to see that in her. It's like a gift to know that she has her ways too. I firmly believe my Grandmother left her imprint in the hearts of all that she touched. I know, She still lives on in us, even if it's only a little.. her ways were so great, it shines.

9/28/2012 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter