Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Wrath of Kahn?

So...understand me, okay? I'm a God person. Just like there are extremely cat people and dog people (which I'm both of those, too), I'm also a big time God person. Just my thing. I'm not a Southern Baptist kinda God person, just a normal, everyday "talk to God so it doesn't look like you're talking to yourself" kinda God person. I even like some gospel music (but it's gotta be good stuff, not the canned crap so many music evangelists are passing off as music these days - that ain't the spirit moving them, it's Visa) and a few of the televangelists on satellite TV. Some of the new folks -and I said some - have a nice, hopeful, uplifting message that doesn't seem to cost folks too much of their pension checks. That being said...do you think Pat Robertson knows he's, like, America's clown laureate? How ridiculous to go from being God's man to Jay Leno's one-liner - on a slow news day.

Pat Robertson has come out (don't we all wish he would!) and said that Hurricane Katrina is God's wrath for...no, wait for it...Ellen DeGeneres hosting the Emmys. I'll wait a moment for you to catch your breath. Yep. Apparently she was also responsible for the 9/11 attacks. Huh...So, God in all His power and wisdom has chosen to ignore Iraq, the Gaza Strip, the Jihad, poverty, pedophiles, serial murderers and Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon, and concentrated instead on wreaking death and destruction on New Orleans (which one is it, Soddom or Gomorrah?) because...let me get a good breath this time...Ellen DeGeneres is hosting an awards show? And not just any awards show. It's not like it's the Oscars or anything. It's a TV awards show. But, fear not dear citizens, all can be put right if Ellen just backs down from hosting and issues an apology for all the death and destruction she's caused.

Why are certain fundamentalists so obsessed with sex? This guy's gotta be thinking about it a lot more than I am. Then again, everybody thinks about it a lot more than I do.

Then I got to considering...that incredibly devastating hurricane back in the 70s (I don't think that one was the one that hit Galveston, making it the deadliest hurricane ever) - Hurricane Camille. Was that because Billy Jean King was a better tennis player than Bobby Riggs? Or was it because Arthur Ashe was black? Oh, wait, I've got it. Hurricane Camille happened because Paul Lynde was the center square, right?

Well, at least Pat Robertson is still more entertaining than Paris Hilton.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone knows that 1969's Hurricane Camille happened because Midnight Cowboy won the Oscar for best picture that year.

God almost cancelled Camille because '69 was also the year that John Wayne won best actor. However the order to cancel Camille was revoked because John Wayne winning the best actor award is also one of the signs of the apocolypse.

9/26/2005 9:31 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I work in the house and EVERY morning my wife and daughter would watch Ellen's morning show and ... well I heard it too and thought she was the nicest person in the world! I mean who else could come up with a joke about new kinds of candy that automatically melts in your mouth: "What's the matter, can't people even suck any more?"

She's got a thousand times more compassion and love and feeling than a thousand of those Robertson losers.

9/26/2005 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Sam, you are sadly correct. There's just not enough hard candy and compassion in the world.

Irish, you're still my favorite pen pal.

9/26/2005 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter