Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, May 03, 2008

You Need Us

I don't know what started it. I usually don't. But there I was at work, somebody gave me just the right sequence of words to somewhat approximate a song cue and the next thing I know I'm singing "You Need Us" as presented by The Honey Bees on Gilligan's Island (No, I didn't realize I still remembered it.)

Don't be scratchin' your heads trying to remember what I'm talking about. If you've watched enough Gilligan then you've seen the now-considered-to-be-a classic episode where the famous pop group The Mosquitoes are shipwrecked on the island and the guys (Gilligan, Skipper, The Professor and Thurston Howell) try their own silly group with wigs and all and The Mosquitoes laugh and say "our rescue helicopter is coming soon". Then the women of the Island get together and form "The Honey Bees" and sing the song "You Need Us" and they're SOOOOO good that The Mosquitoes secretly (and quietly, I'm sure) slip away on their producer's helicopter without rescuing them because they were deathly afraid of the competition The Honey Bees presented.

Since this song has been whirling around in my brain for the past hour, I tried to look up the lyrics. It's amazing how many videos for this with snippets of original Gilligan's footage is to be found on youtube and elsewhere. Try typing in 'gilligan's island You Need Us' and see...but the truly interesting thing is the three man folk singing group, The Wellingtons, sang the theme song for the first season, but were replaced by a similar sounding group, The Eligibles, for the following seasons.

The Wellingtons (plus one) also portrayed 'The Mosquitoes'.

I love being that kind of a weenie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter