Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Color My World

It's one of those moments when you realize there's nothing else like one of these moments.

As a child, we revel in it because our innocence and ability to live in the moment allows us to appreciate the small, amazing things of life.

As an adult, it is a reminder that sometimes, life really is about a brand spanking new box of 24 Crayola Crayons. The crispness of the cardboard that has yet to be dented, crushed, taped, ripped or softened to a leather like quality from use. The smell of the box. Come on, take a moment. You know that smell. We all know that smell. It is a smell of possibility. That fresh, never been used, crayon smell.

Which color do you reach for first? Your favorite? Or do you save the best for last? Me? I have so many favorites that it makes the whole experience worthwhile. But I always, Always, start with the Indigo crayon and a good coloring book. In this case, a collection of Mickey and Friends. Pluto is a great choice for those of us who think the white crayon is a waste of time.

Yep, an extra sharp, manufacturer provided point on the top of a brand new, smells like Crayola Heaven Indigo crayon, time to sit on the floor and color before Mr. Let's Scribble Lots of Orange on Every Page notices and, folks, life just doesn't get any better.

Unless, of course, it's a box of 64 with the built in sharpener...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And don't you just hate it when one of those suckers breaks and the paper rips??? I, too , am a coloring fanatic - I also covet colored pencils and the possibilities they present.

11/09/2006 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear!
A lovely reflection on the joys of something so simple. Your essay brought me back to the excitement of a new school year and a new box of crayons! The possiblities--the excitement--
Thanks for a beautiful and poignant reminder of the simpler days and simpler delights of the pre-digital world!
Hmmm. I don't recall a Shiraz colored crayon. Do they make those now?
Living for the color
M

11/09/2006 1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hurts.

That just really hurts.

I wish you had that sharpener. I could just sharpen myself into nothingness and it wouldn't even matter.

Of course, then those snow scenes on black construction paper would be impossible, so maybe I'll just continue my pointless (how ironic, since I have a point due to disuse) life until the snow flies.

Maybe then you'll drag me out for a day. One day away from the taunts of the other 23.

11/10/2006 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...White.
Not one color, but the sum of all colors gloriously mixed together until they are broken down into individual rays by a prism. You are utter potential, filled with the energy of all colors awaiting their release. You are like the pulse of energy filling all creation, animating it, preserving it, the life force beating underneath the distractions and illusions of disparateness. You are the unifying essence of all colors, all energy.

Is it really jealousy that the other 23 experience when they gaze in your direction? Or is it the recognition that without you they would not exist?
Perhaps, they desire release from their isolation and long to return to the energy force from which they have sprung? Perhaps you are the Eternal Brahaman of their Atman.
or somethin like that.

living for nerdvana
M

11/10/2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Ah, Martha, only you (and maybe me) can have that much fun with polysyllabics and a dash of earth science. But why did Batman have Eternal Mormons?

(Sam, I did do Janis when I sang in the piano bars and people paid me big bucks to ruin my voice for three days - now I only do it when I've downed a fifth of Jack.)

11/10/2006 6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear!
If Batman was seeing etermal Mormons than he certainly needed to get out of that Bat cave, dear.
Gotta say that I love the new take on the hunky caped crusader--- not a Robin in sight--

Living for a ride in the batmobile
M

11/10/2006 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the JOker, the riddler, catwoman....
now the warbler??
Will the treachery ever end?
>B<

11/11/2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

In honor of the season, let's add a few new Nemisi (that's the plural of nemesis, right?): The Gobbler andThe Large Man.

11/11/2006 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...
Warbler.
There's only room for one bird in Batman's life.
That's me.
I'm the only songbird for him.
Robin

11/11/2006 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter