Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Friday, March 17, 2006

Dance of the Seven Veils


For many years I've wanted to do something. I thought it sounded like fun and was something I'd enjoy doing. I'm almost loathe to admit it, but I don't know why. Belly dancing. I would love to learn to belly dance.

Last night at Sweet Adelines, one of the Divas (the new gals that all started together are called 'Divas' - how appropriate!) had to get up and give a mini-speech about ourselves. One of the girls, K, is a voluptuous woman who is quiet and well-spoken, comes across friendly but a little shy. Do not be fooled! K has a wonderful sense of humor and an easily accessible personality. But most important, she announced last night that she has begun belly dancing classes because "with hips like this, how could I not?"

My feelings exactly!!!! I have a woman's body and I love it. I feel beautiful in it (unless I'm PMS-ing and then I hate everything about it, even my teeth). Why not do something with it that capitalizes on all the strong, feminine beauty and keeps a little rhythm as well? Not to mention, those really cool belts with the little gold coins. Don't know about that bra thingy, though. And how do they keep those belly button jewels from falling out?

I never want to stop learning new and fun things. I believe that not pursuing knowledge and fun is what makes us old. How many people have you seen in their 60s and 70s, vibrant, alive and walking the walk who then retire and lead quiet lives at home, only to watch them turn old and gray, forgetful and fragile? It happens so often that I am convinced it's all about keeping the spirit passionate. And the body. It doesn't have to be forever. It can be just six weeks of learning to twirl your hips. You don't have to go dance in a Greek restaurant and pour ouzo down the throats of leering businessmen. It can be an oil painting class at the local community college (which is also on my list). Or joining an historical re-enactment village during the summer (on my list). Or hiking into the middle of the Grand Canyon (you guessed it).

As far as I know, life only comes around once. I am not going out with a big list of wishes that never got done because I was too busy to twirl my hips.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear!
Brava!
Go dance til your heart's delight!
Life is too short for skittishness.
Living for all the jangles.
M

3/19/2006 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you're talkin'

3/19/2006 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you do dance,
I wish you a wave o' the sea,
that you might ever do
nothing but that. :)

3/19/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I asked Lori about belly dancing and she said a teacher was doing that and attended her yoga classes and would start a belly dancing class this summer - and wow was Lori excited about that.

I heard that these gals could shake the walnuts off a tree 60 feet high!

3/19/2006 10:00 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Walnut trees grow sixty feet high?

3/19/2006 10:03 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Sure, the Black Walnut can grow to 100 feet tall. Didn't know you were that good, eh? That's some potential there.

3/19/2006 10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is an ancient Chinese proverb that reads:
"Those who hear not the music think the dancers mad."
May you be attuned to the inner music of Spring!

3/19/2006 10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah!
When you think about it, isn't life really like the dance of the seven veils? As time moves on, we are gradually emboldened to remove, one by one, the various veils that we wear to protect our deepest vulnerabilities and truest selves from those who would so easily tear us apart.
When the last veil is pulled away and tossed to the floor, a person stands in the freedom, strenght and beauty of who s/he truly is. The mystery finally revealed, the freedom finally found, the beauty finally uncovered!
Ah!
To have the courage to take up this dance!

3/20/2006 5:08 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

Wow, mystery, you sure talk purdy.

3/20/2006 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah!
One can only aspire to some mere semblance of the eloquence with which you so deeply capture the importance and wonder of life's rich and oftentimes challenging moments.
Really.
The Warbler rules.

3/20/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

I'm considering having a t-shirt made up (not the baggy 'I'm With Stupid' kind) that simply says 'The Warbler' and proudly wearing it on the ferry when the kids and I visit for Easter. And, of course, every day after that.

3/20/2006 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear!
Brava!
The Tshirt idea is simply marvelous!
I'll watch for you on the boat!
It will truly mark the beginning of spring- the song of the warbler is heard in the land!
Living for those crazy sugary marshmallow chix
M

3/20/2006 9:35 PM  
Blogger The Warbler said...

mmm...peeps

3/20/2006 9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warbler, dear.
I forget. Do I serve white,red or a pink zinfandel with the peeps?
Living for the Easter candy
M

3/20/2006 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter