Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Monday, July 18, 2005

Pretty and the Beastie

Once upon a time there was a young girl named Pretty who longed to see the world. And she did. She travelled to foreign lands and explored exotic territories. She even visited high priced tourist spots in her own country and felt all the better for it. But Pretty was troubled. She felt it was time to settle down and raise a family.

One day, when Pretty was living in a far away but homey principality run by several feudal warlords and extremist villager factions, she came across the Beastie. Now, the Beastie wasn't terribly beastly at the time, and even quite good looking in a beastie, werewolfish sort of way. And as time passed, Pretty fell in love with the misunderstood yet loveable Beastie. And they married. And they had babies that, thankfully, looked more like Pretty and less like Beastie.

One day, when Pretty was rocking the Wee Beastie to sleep in their once grand but now dilapidated country manor that still technically belonged to some long lost half uncle on the Beastie's second cousin's aunt's side, Beastie came home and announced that the villagers were scheduling a mass protest against carniverous neighbors and it was time for them to move on. He had chosen a remote fiefdom far, far away for their next home.

"But where will we live," Pretty asked.

"In a cave I have found with a stream nearby so there's running water," the Beastie replied.

"Um, Beastie," Pretty hesitated to broach the subject. "I'm not exactly a cave and stream kinda gal."

"Now, Pretty," the Beastie responded, "you knew what I was like when you married me."

"True," Pretty thought. For very nearly all her life, Pretty had assumed everybody knew better about everything than her. That, of course, would explain some of the more severe fashion disasters like leg warmers and puffed red leather jackets.

"What will we do for a living," Pretty asked.

"Eventually I'm sure I'll find something - probably in the security field...overwatching flocks, that sort of thing," the Beastie told her. "Until then, we'll just have to rough it for a while and I'll steal a chicken or two. You can stretch two chickens for six weeks you're so talented."

"Um...Beastie," Pretty hesitated again, but felt it really should be raised. "The Wee Beastie and the Beastette need clothes and food and annoying toys with batteries."

"Now, Pretty," the Beastie rumbled a little louder this time, "you knew what I was like when you married me."

Pretty chewed her lip and tried to think of the many ways she could stretch the meat of two chickens. And perhaps wring a neck or two.

That night, Pretty asked, "But Beastie, how will we get to town or run errands or entertain? I won't be able to paint cave walls or have a garden."

"Well, Pretty," the Beastie replied, obviously frustrated with her questions, "we're not going to be able to do those things. But we're stuck with it now and we're just going to have to do the best we can."

"Um...Beastie," Pretty spoke up, quite boldly now. "I'm not really a just do the best we can kinda gal. I need security and...well...security. I really am a financial, emotional and spiritual security kinda gal. And you are a Beastie, after all."

"Now, Pretty," the Beastie nearly roared, "you knew what I was like when you married me."

"Well," said Pretty, "that's not quite true. My cousin Beauty married a Beastie and he turned out to be a charming prince who had learned his lesson about humanity. He has 200k a year PLUS enchanted furniture. I have a deficit from what I started with."

"Oh, please," the Beastie snarled, "those aren't real Beasties. Momma's boys living off their dead parent's money...they don't do anything for themselves - that's what the enchanted furniture's for. Only about 3% of the Beasties are enchanted. The rest of us were born Beasties, stay Beasties and will die horrible, ugly, smelly, tangly, snarly Beasties."

At this point, Pretty realized with a certain amount of dread that she would have to move to a far, far away fiefdom with a completely unenchanting Beastie and there would be no forthcoming castle, no large family inheritance, no bewitched servants to help her with her household chores. Where else could she go, what else would she do? So Pretty began to learn the art of cave drawings with bits of burnt wood, and how to tell a Moose from an Elk and all sorts of really useful things.

The moral of the story? Umm...I'm not really a moral to the story kinda gal.

14 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Um, Warbler, you OK? You have me worried.

We just moved into an old house on the Gulf of Mexico and we're having a hurricane tomorrow. This news won't make you feel better, but we're tense and the nerves are shot. A dream home on a dime and it soon could vanish.

So with some good old Southern manners and Yankee know-how, we will survive. Hang in there, OK? For years and years I was a plasterman and only made $14,000 a year. I went to college and got better. Life got better. Heck, you haven't even got to the part about bailing your kid out of jail for the first time!

Now, men are horrible talking with gals about stuff close to their hearts. I probably blew it here. But talk, talk, amd then talk some more. Don't keep it bottled inside.

Please?
Sam

7/18/2005 11:02 PM  
Blogger blockislandblog said...

Don't worry Sam. I think it's called venting.
Besides, I think every woman secretly likes having their Beastie drag them back to the cave. Maybe not.

Warbler,
Maybe there are fish in the stream, you could have an unlimited supply of food. And smuggle a few pumpkin seeds in that apron of yours, you can have a secret pumpkin patch! And I am certain you could scrape together a few pennies and take the horse cart to the general store to buy some muslin for a good dress for the Beastette.
You'll have to start calling each other Pa and Ma.
Maybe you can invite Paris Hilton over for an episode of the Simple Life, and show her how it's really done.
Good luck with the cave drawings!
BIB

7/19/2005 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam, you're worried about ME? I'm not the one with Emily comin' a-callin'. Check in when it's over and let us know you're okay, ok?

And as for my dear BIB...well...thanks for remembering the pumpkins! There's not quite enough room for a dog and a patch, so I'll just keep those seeds in my apron a bit longer. (apron? I'm supposed to own an apron?) BTW...what's muslin? Is that something I'm supposed to SEW?

Hell, maybe Paris Hilton better show ME! (and don't think that's not humiliating to say...)

7/19/2005 12:09 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I see Paris, I see France, I see ... holy crap, Emily's underpants! As in low-flying clouds. Not to worry, I believe that the forecast calls for max 60 MPH winds here - you know how the media makes such a big deal about everything these days. The house is all boarded up so it's like a cave inside. I'm going to grab the wife by the hair and retire to the deepest, darkest nest in our cave. Me Oogah!
-sam
p.s., glad all is OK with you and I'll get back after these ... clouds get out of the way.

7/19/2005 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheer up dearie! Faery godmother here with wand in hand and a fully loaded pouch of genuine faery sprinkles to bring good luck and great fortune! Now, who do I sprinkle it all on? You or your Beastie?

7/19/2005 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you girlfriend. Fairytale endings?? I got the ogre and the swamp. Call...let's talk.

7/19/2005 2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness, there's Oprah-isms all over this page!

7/19/2005 3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty,

Back in the fairytale times they called me the wicked witch, but now I'm called a feminist. Why do you have to follow your Beastie around to far-flung kingdoms? Yes, marriage is meeting of two lives and people can live happily ever after, but why the heck do women still have to follow guys around? Now, don't get me wrong...I am incredibly fond of men and not the type of woman/witch/feminist with a need to turn the whole pack into a bunch of croaking toads....but give a girl a break...would it really be wicked to live someplace without mooses and elks?
ooooops... just checked...i'm meeelting...not surprising in this humidity...

7/19/2005 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen Pretty,
You were the one who requested the kingdom transfer. After some pretty hairy (sorry Beastie) negotiations between your fairy god parent and his fairy god werewolf, they settled on Neutral territory both would find satisfactory in the Kingdom of Maine.
(So, sorry Wicked Witch, the Beastie is actually following Pretty.)
I guess the old saying "careful for what you wish" is a wise one.
Worry not, your pretty head. You will be taken care of. That's the good thing about Beasties, they like to eat.
Allow you and your Beastie time to assimilate into the cave dwelling lifestyle, you may actually find the cool darkness comforting.
Take time to reflect on the good things in your life. A decent Beastie is hard to find. And some people live in boxes. They would love to have a cave to call home.
MM
By the way, you are the fairest one of all.

7/19/2005 6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pretty,
I know what it's like to find yourself in another kingdom far, far away from home. You know I didn't plan on dropping in at OZ, I just happened to be in the house with Dorothy when it all happened. What's a dog to do? At first I wasn't too keen on it at all. I liked her new friends enough, but those flying monkeys still give me nightmares. After a while I got used to all the excitement, the adventures, the thrill of living in a new land. Then next thing I know Dorothy's mumbling "There's no place like home" and we're back in drab old kansas and this was when the entire state of kansas was still in some drab monochromatic stage. Anyways, did anyone ask me if I wanted to leave the Emerald City? No. I wish I could have stayed there. Sometimes I still dream in color.
Be brave. Cherish the adventure.

7/19/2005 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness Gracious, great balls of fire! Who knew? Just like the BIB and her 4th of July posting, one really never knows when one will hit a vein. And an incredible outpouring of creativity came along with this one.

Just to set the record straight, though, folks...can't help but defend myself...my husband and I - I mean, Pretty and the Beastie decided almost three years ago that we, I mean they, could never afford a house on Block Island. Since the Beastette isn't an athlete and needs a bit more opportunity to practice her somewhat questionable social skills, we/they decided the best thing for our/their family would be to move somewhere affordable with a decent school system that would meet our particular desires and needs. My/Pretty's original request was to move to Narragansett or anywhere else in South County that we/they might find a home. That request was denied. I/Pretty then requested to move home to the Kingdom of Random Mid-Westernism where we/they would have a built in support system, the opportunity to "try before we buy" and a much lower cost of living. That request was denied. The Far Away Kingdom of Maine was NOT a compromise between anybody's fairy godparents, etc., but a deal struck to avoid a divorce. I have never, ever been in favor of Maine and have tried everything but a lawyer to change the Beastie's mind. I also was intent on renting until we knew what area we wanted to live in and actually one of us might be working in the state. Call me crazy for that, huh? The deal was (and, I hope, still is) that Pretty would give this far away kingdom a try for one year and then, if not completely satisfied, the move would be made closer to the Mid-West.

And while I realize I have it better than a lot of people in third world countries and homeless shelters, I still reserve the right to want what I want, not what somebody else says I should want. I still reserve the right to want the opportunity to work for my piece of the American Dream. I still reserve the right to want better for my children than a falling down house with heavy duty electrical and plumbing problems, a mortgage we have no clue how we're going to pay, three pieces of furniture (not including beds). I even have the right to want a marriage where the husband actually shows up and isn't working three jobs (with a heart condition, mind you) just to make ends NOT meet. And, please remember, nobody (and I mean NOBODY) knows what goes on behind another's closed doors, so don't assume anything you didn't get from the horse's mouth.

This is my blog and I will complain about whatever I damn well want to.

Oh yeah...OZ is in Kansas. Kansas is in the mid-west. Lovin' the theme here, folks.

7/19/2005 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dorothy,
It's the wicked witch again. Not critizing your decision to follow your husband off to Maine, as much as commiserating that our culture still works that way. I hear you about the affordability ( and affability) of life in 'kansas', but it can be real hard for coastal folks to take themselves so far from the ocean. Darn! gotta go and rehearse the oh-e-oh song with those big scary looking guards.

7/19/2005 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wicked Witch -
You know, I'd heard that it was especially difficult to get a New Englander out of New England. Wow, little did I understand. And I DO understand, much as folks don't think I do. As much as New Englanders (and Block Islanders especially) love and crave their homes, their landscape, their people and their water is as much as I love and crave my home, my landscape, my people, and my flatlands. If only one place were perfect for everybody, how could we possibly fit them all on BI?

But I appreciate the commiserating. It's not anything I didn't choose myself, though, please remember. Now, the women in Afghanistan, on the other hand...

7/20/2005 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

7/20/2005 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter