Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fall Into Me

One minute I'm 'Sweating As The Oldie" and the next thing you know...mm-mm-mmm...feel that crisp fall air. Oh how I love this time of year. Love it, love it, love.

If we were back on Block Island, this would be the time when the crowds begin to lose their massivity (is too a word!) and the ocean still feels warm (it's all relative. To a Block Islander it's still pretty warm. To a Mainer it's a pasta boil. A Southerner wouldn't get in without a dry suit.) It would be the time for sweatshirts and shorts - so what if it's not the most attractive look, who cares? The flip flops would be put away - for most of us - and the tennis shoes dusted off. Where did I pack my socks?

In Maine, the pine trees would begin their shed and the moose would be a tad more likely to be spotted. I did so enjoy certain aspects of Maine. New England, for that matter. But I'm tellin' ya, ain't no mountain high enough to keep me from being able to borrow my cousin's Bissell on an hour's notice.

It's not quite pure fall. There's not yet the hint of cinnamon, pumpkin and the promise of wearing colors entitled 'Aubergine' and 'Ochre'. But it's close. And that's almost enough to put me in a good mood. Almost.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this beautiful reflection. Your writing was so poetic, I could actually feel the season.

9/13/2007 6:15 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Ah yes, very good. What is it about early September that tells you that fall is coming? It is as if the Lord flipped a switch.

9/13/2007 8:00 PM  
Blogger Everett said...

AH, I hate to be a picky kiljoy but, Pine trees don't shed their needles. At least not intentionally. Deciduious,(sp) trees DO have that ability. Hey I have some of those Aubergine socks! Or are they Argyles I got from the Auberchon hardware store? Go figure.

9/17/2007 6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Ev, don't you remember me complaining about the pine trees on my property in Maine that shed their needles? And then I moved here and the one and only tree next to my driveway is a pine tree that sheds its needles? Honestly, don't you memorize each and every post I've ever made?

Does anybody wear Argyles anymore? Other than those in kilts? Which, by the way, Matt wants one of. But the Glen family plaid is just uncommon enough that we'd have to custom make it. Just our luck, huh?

9/17/2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Everett said...

I THINK the Hackmatack (sp) tree is one that does drop it's needles. There are a few of them on the West side next to the road that goes down into Franklin Swamp. That is across the road from the old West Side church

9/17/2007 3:48 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Yessir, Hackmatack. The old shipwrights and builders used to use the part by the roots and base for "knees." They have a way of sprouting roots 90 degrees from the main trunk. You can still see some in very old churches and town halls. Used to connect vertical timber to the roof beams. Excellent tree and wood. Looks naked in winter. /sam

9/19/2007 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter