Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Meet 'n Greet

I don't know why I let it bother me. I mean, it's not as if it's anything personal. It's not as if I don't know how to lighten up or anything. I guess it didn't help that I was already fuming over the condition of the sidewalks in town and my efforts to navigate them (and the curbs) with a stroller (and not the more maneuverable three wheelers, either, mind you). But then I passed the two "gentlemen". I use that term very loosely because, to me, 'gentleman' describes one who is courteous, mannerly...etc. I don't know if they were tourists, business owners, partners of business owners, friends of business owners, potential business owners, summers, renters or March of Dimes. They looked like wiseguys, but that's just me judging a book by the cover and I should know better than to say something like that. It's not like there was a great deal of foot traffic there on Weldon's Way at 10:30 a.m. on a beautiful spring Saturday. It's not like a large woman in a bright green fleece coat, a bucket hat and a huge STROLLER isn't somewhat noticeable. It's not like I didn't give them every opportunity to be polite, what with my turning toward them as they approached me, giving a big smile and waiting for eye contact so that they (or I) could say 'good morning', as I am so often inclined to do with locals and tourists alike. But there was no eye contact, no nod in my direction as if to say "Hello, local lady, I don't know the custom here and I'm from a big city where we don't greet each other, so I'll nod in your direction because my mother brought me up right. They didn't even pause long enough in their conversation to look like they didn't know what to do. They kept talking and even turned away from me a little more. So, apparently, their mothers did NOT bring them up right.

I was born in a city. Raised in the 'burbs. Loved my lifestyle. Lived in cities all my life until here. And I didn't just become the overly friendly person I am when I moved here! You're telling me these two guys of an obviously certain age didn't know to nod at the lady and her baby? Are we not on a small island? Were we not the only three people on the street at the time? Actually...

No. About fifteen yards down the way, there was a girl/lady/woman/hard to tell walking briskly with that look that so many girls from the 'big city' have. The brisk walk the walk for your safety while you're out in the open like a hunted moose until you reach the...aahhh...security of parked cars and the inside of a building. But I digress...

Shake it off, warbler, move on...

4 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/10/2005 2:04 AM  
Blogger blockislandblog said...

Don't be too upset with the wiseguys. Unfortunately not looking at people is a pre-requisite for mainland living.
I once got on the subway in Boston after a long time away, and smiled at everyone who got on board. It wasn't long before every seat around me had been vacated, because surely, I had just escaped from a mental hospital.
I also get similar responses on the mainland when I engage a small child in a store. The mother always smiles at me in appreciation of my noticing her special child, and then speedily turns tail and heads off at full speed.
I guess it's a symptom of mainland living. Where dangerous strangers lurk around every corner. (And who, may I ask, is more dangerous than a woman with a baby in a stroller?)
As far as your previous post, it is the drawback to living on and Island, when you have a talent and can not use it. (Such as being a superior hockey player, or bungee jumper or in your case a talented musician.)
I have secretly hoped that the recent addition to your family would calm some of the frustrations you feel and lead you to stay just a little longer. Maybe it makes the feeling keener. I do think you and your family will be missed.
But if happiness lies in Maine, then Godspeed, and come back to visit as often as you can.
And remember, the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence, hopefully in your case this will prove true.
:)

4/10/2005 7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I think my husband had wished for a calming effect as well, but it has just intensified my need to fulfill all my potential(s). At the same time, if I thought for half a second that I could have the kind of home I want, with a yard big enough to grow pumpkins in and someone willing to loan me a stage, I'd stay, I swear to you, I would. But, then, I've always been a gypsy.

4/10/2005 5:04 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Sorry I deleted my first post here because I was so tired I couldn't see straight, never mind spell worth a hoot. I think BIB captured what I was going to say, anyway, although isn't it a shame men don't tip their hats, open doors, and recognize the ladies any more?

Now you know I'm an ole Yankee who moved down to Texas in 1976 (I was a summer worker on BI before that) and if you didn't treat the ladies right, or acknowledge a "howdy" you could get in big trouble. Why, one time a buddy passed me on the highway and flashed a wave (every trucker has a distinct wave thingy). So he turned around, drove like 100 MPH, and like forced me over the side of the road. "You forgot to wave back, Sam" is what he said, almost threatening, and was on his way after a smirk and a smile.

Sooooo, tell us about Maine. Please?
-Sam

4/10/2005 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter